Top 5 Dog Health Problems
The most common dog problems:
Dog Owner's commonly ask me the same questions repeatedly. This article aims to help dog owners prevent and find information about the most common dog health problems. Understanding the basics of these problems will go a long ways to helping your canine friend live a long healthy life.
1. By far the most common question I get asked from dog owners is a desperate call about their dog's vomiting. Vomiting can have many causes, but the most common cause is eating garbage, or wolfing down food. In most cases the easiest cure is to withhold food from your dog for 24 hours, but continue to give water. Then after 24 hours, start by giving small meals again. This rest period will allow the stomach to heal. If vomiting continues after this you should see your veterinarian.
2. The next most common question I get asked are reproduction questions. These questions range from breeding their dog, questions about whelping, and about raising puppies. While it is beyond this article to cover everything, here are some basics to keep in mind. Dogs come into heat every 6-7 months which is the time to breed them. The gestation length ranges from 59-63 days. Breeds that can have trouble with whelping are the pug, bulldog, Chihuahuas, Boston terriers, and the Pekingese. Whelping, the act of giving birth, can take from 2 to 24 hours. With several hours in-between the time puppies are passed.
3. Third, are questions about skin problems. These questions range from masses and bumps, to scratches and rashes. Whenever you find a mass on your dog it is important that you show it to your veterinarian. Most masses are benign lipomas, which are fatty tumors. Another common tumor of female dogs are tumors of the mammary gland. You can greatly decrease the risk of your female dog getting a mammary gland tumor by spaying your dog. One of the most common skin tumors owners are likely to see are Mast cell tumors. Mast cell tumors can appear anywhere on the body, and can range from benign to very aggressive.
4. Fourth are questions about the musculoskeletal system. Two possible causes of limping in dogs are arthritis and torn anterior cruciate ligaments. Arthritis is common in older dogs. To treat arthritis try some joint supplements like chondroitin. For dogs with torn anterior cruciate ligaments, surgery is needed. The anterior cruciate ligament is a ligament in the knees of dogs. Signs of this injury is when the dog is running and all of a sudden the dog whimpers in pain and starts to limp on its rear leg.
5. The fifth most common question is about allergies. Many dogs suffer from allergies. The most common clinical signs are the dog chewing its paws, reddened skin, and scratching. For a definitive diagnosis allergy testing can be done by your veterinarian. Allergies are often treated by antihistamines and in severe cases steroids.
With a little knowledge pet owners can be more proactive in the health care of their pets. With greater knowledge you can help your veterinarian come up with the best treatment plans for your pet, and are able to give a more complete history on your pet which can lead to a quicker and more accurate diagnosis.
For the complete TOP TEN LIST of questions visit my website at http://www.free-online-veterinarian-advice.com/doghealth.html
Chris Suckow, DVM, lives and works in Los Angeles, CA
No More Stillborn Kittens ? Know How To Care For A Pregnant Cat
'I named all kittens, although they were all stillborn.' 'My pregnant cat has a bloody vaginal discharge.' 'I had a litter of five, but only one kitten survived.'
How Cats With Feline Diabetes Can Lead A Happy Life
"Your cat has feline diabetes." If this is your vet's message after examining your beloved friend, it will come as a shock. Yes, your cat has a serious disease. But you can treat it!
Dealing with a Dog Food Allergy?
Just as humans allergies can show up as a sneeze or rash, your dog's allergies can manifest as itchiness -- or even ear infections. In fact, if your dog's allergic to his food, it can cause him to scratch himself constantly, even with no obvious parasite problem.
Westies Dogs and Your Children
Almost without exception, breeders will advertise that their favorite terrier, westies dogs, are good with children. However, terrier enthusiasts, and westie rescue organizations, tell a different story. Before you bring your terrier into a home with small children, be sure you understand the westie personality, and how they might react to your children's behavior.
Different Dog Foods For Different Dog Ages
Dogs come in many assorted breeds, shapes, and sizes. They also have different nutritional requirements as they age. Choosing the right type of dog food for your pet will help to keep it healthy and happy as it ages. Here are some guidelines to follow when choosing the proper dog food for your dog's breed and age.
Why Should We Get Kittens as Pets?
Kittens are and have always been adorable creatures. Of course, these youngsters are also playful, naughty and mischievous as well. Perhaps that's the reason why people are attracted to them, as they entertain us with their peculiar antics and curiosity. Cats and dogs have been found torelieve humans of stress and make great companions at home. Of course,choosing between a cat and a dog is totally a personal choice.
What to Do When Your Puppy Dog Is Chewing Everything In Sight
A puppy wanting to chew makes you want to scream! Doremember that, like children who search their new worldwith their hands, so do puppies search with their mouths.While there is a difference between exploratory chewing andproblem chewing, the problem chewing is sometimes relatedto their need for attention, food or tension release. However,most of the time, puppies tend to chew because they areteething. Expect them to do so until they're about sixmonths old.
How To Save Money By Testing For Feline UTI Yourself
Do you want to save money, anxiety for your kitty, and unnecessary trips to your vet? Would you like to know if your cat is developing crystals in her urine that could lead to a feline UTI?
Buy Dog Travel Supplies Online
Dog Travel Supplies
Heartworm Treatment for Cats and Dogs
The treatment for heartworms is different for cats and dogs. Do not ever give medicine intended for a cat to your dog or vice versa.
A Horse Training Secret From The 1800s To Teach A Horse To Drive Without Lines!
Horse owners who are history buffs may recognize the name Jesse Beery. Beery was an enormously famous horse trainer from the 1800's and early 1900's.
Doggy Dental Care: Teeth Cleaning 101
Your dog's dental health is so important for his total well-being... and for guaranteeing him a long and happy life. So don't give him the brush-off! Make tooth cleaning a daily ritual that your dog will look foward to as something the two of you do together.
Pet Bird Home Hazards - Keep Your Feathered Friend Safe
Interacting with a pet bird outside of it's cage is one of the joys of living with a bird, but the home that is safe for us, may not be so safe for our feathered friends. The little day to day things that we take for granted can injure or kill a bird in the blink of an eye.
Puppy Vaccines Assure Wagging Tails and Wet Noses
When you get a new puppy it is imperative that he receive all his proper puppy vaccines. These protect him from getting diseases if he becomes exposed to them.
Tips to Help Solve the Three Most Common Dog Barking Complaints
Many dog owners find themselves frustrated, deeply concerned and even embarrassed by their dog's constant barking. Currently, there are approximately 63 million dogs owned by 44 million Americans. And just over one third of those owners complain of excessive barking.
Feral Cats - Societys Problem Children
There is a lot of talk going on about what to do with the issue of feral cat population.
Tips For Dog Toys
Toys are fun both for our dogs and us. Lucky for us there are endless choices.
The Humble Hamster: A Great First Pet for Your Child
Thinking of getting a pet for your little ones? How about a hamster? They're cute, inexpensive, easy to care for, and a great first pet that will teach your child how to be more responsible. Here are some things I learned during my experience as a hamster owner. I hope they aid you in your pet-purchasing decision.
Kittens Are Just The Cutest Things
Is there anything more cute and cuddly than tiny little kittens? They're small and light. Cats kittens, they're fragile yet so curious and inquisitive. Kittens bring a sense of well being and comfort into our homes that few other animals can.
Parrots are becoming more popular as pets with each passing day. This is evidenced by the proliferation of Internet discussion lists which provide access to information regarding parrot care and behavior. This upsurge in the number of parrots in homes and the amount of information newly available does not alert the companion parrot owner to a very important and pertinent fact - that parrot keeping is a relatively new phenomenon.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|