Life Long Nutrition A Comparison of Dog Foods
This article discusses two foods in paticual. For the puppy stage, Eagle Pack Puppy food and for the adult stage, Royal CaninLabrador Retriever
When deciding on the nutritional components that will determine the diet of my pups it is important to recognize and keep the following key factors at the forefront:
- The pups will mature quickly, meaning that they will need the best diet possible to allow them to safely grow with the aid of the necessary amounts of the 6 major nutrients present
- Starting at birth and lasting for the first 5-6 weeks of life, my pups will need a high quality Colostrum based formula due to them not being able to ween at birth. After researching various formulas, I have selected the following:
This is a blend of New Life Colostrum (vital for the pups when first born to stimulate body functions), glucosamine sulfate, MSM, acetyl myristoleate, lipase enzyme, coated with beta-lipid. Attributes
- Helps increase bioavailability and absorption of nutrients in the body and helps decrease the bioavailability of iron to pathogens
? MSM, a natural form of sulfur helps in the prevention of free radical damage and helps support joint and cartilage function
? Glucosamine sulfate contains sulfur, an element important to the biochemical synthesis of connective tissue
? Cetyl myristoleate helps support joint and cartilage function. It is paired with a lipase enzyme in order to help increase its absorption and assimilation in the body
Due to the importance of Colostrum, below you will find a detailed breakdown of the nutritional make up of this vital component to my pup's healthy first few weeks of life.
Pure Colostrum Guaranteed Analysis and Nutritional Breakdown
(1x480 mg tablet mixed with 3-5oz of warm water three times daily daily total = 1440mg)
Some believe that proper Colostrum supplementation should consist of more than what is stated above, however, this is just opinion, and there is no evidence that proves this theory.
- The Structural Growth period (0 to 18 months) is the most important stage of the development of my pups meaning that during this phase of their lives, it is crutial for them to consume high quality premium or home prepared food.
- Along with my formula, I will be eventually feeding my pups a premium puppy food up until they are 15 to 16 months of age, (Eagle Pack Large/Giant Formula) which upon my research, appeared to be the best suited to the needs of my Labrador pups.
When considering a puppy food, one must take into account the quality of ingredients, and what these ingredients mean to the growth of my pups. For my pups to thrive, they need and will receive the best possible ingredients which when combined will produce an optimum food to enable them to grow safely, and consistently in regards to their breed specifications.
Eagle Pack Analysis
The Eagle Pack puppy food I chose has in my opinion the best combination of ingredients for consumption by my pups. Some of the key ingredients include:
- 7 skin and coat conditioners consisting of; chicken fat, flax seed, avocado oil, herring meal, lecithin, vitamin E, and biotin. This is a rare combination and is only found in top quality puppy formula. The main purpose of these conditioners is to allow for a nice shiny healthy coat with healthy skin underneath
- Premium chicken meal, rice, and herring meal provide great taste as well as extra protein and fat which allow for a great foundation for growth In order to show the extensive process of creating a high calorie-quality puppy food, below is the entire ingredient list with the above key ingredients included:
Chicken meal, brown rice, ground rice, rice bran, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and ascorbic acid), flax seed, dehydrated alfalfa meal, avocado oil, herring meal, lecithin, brewers dried yeast, natural flavoring, monosodium phosphate, choline chloride, rosemary extract, sage extract, ferrous sulfate, dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), zinc oxide, sodium selenite, manganous oxide, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B complex), copper sulfate, zinc methionine, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, cobalt proteinate, niacin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement calcium pantothenate, d-biotin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, bromelain, papain, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation product. Advantages
- Like most specific puppy formulated food, Eagle Pack's Puppy Formula is designed for optimum growth. With high protein, nutrient and fat content, the building blocks for continued growth are present and I would expect my pups to do very well while consuming this product
- Low stool volume is a big advantage and is strictly due to the chicken meal and rice formula allowing for better digestibility, which in turn, allows for more nutrients and vitamins to be absorbed by the puppies
- Palatability is maintained by the presence of vitamin E and C, meaning that no preservatives are used
- Eagle Pack Puppy Formula is pressure cooked to ensure that the highest nutrient and vitamin level is present
At approximately 5 weeks of age, I will start reducing the "Artho" and introducing my puppies to the "Eagle Pack" kibble mushed in warm water.
Weeks of Life Pup Food Ration, Adult Food Ration
Total Daily Ration
Now that phase two of my nutrition plan is complete, I need to move to phase three, which is the adult phase of life. I have always been a believer in the commonly used phrase, "you are what you eat" and with this in mind, I have researched the wide selection of adult dog food found on today's' market and in doing so have come across a company that goes the extra mile in regards to their research, dedication, and determination to provide the best adult dog food on the market.
Royal Canin, a dog food manufacturer based in Europe, stands head and shoulders above all other food manufacturers based on their track record, attention to detail, testimonials, and their determination to provide the best diet possible for any given breed. Yes, this company has started to provide specific diets for specific breeds based on the differing needs that different breeds incur.
Knowing this fact, made it impossible for me not to choose this manufacturer to provide my Labrador with a life long healthy diet. Labrador Retriever 30? Formula coupled with love an all the affection I can give, will provide my Labrador the optimum foundation for a long healthy mischievous life. (I can't wait!)
Labrador Retriever 30? Formula
Guaranteed Analysis, Feeding Method
- Contains numerous skin and coat conditioners to help maintain a nice healthy shiny coat
- Contains antioxidants such as glucosamine and chondroitin to aid in joint maintenance
- Contains taurine which has been proven to aid in heart health
- A high protein level allows for muscle mass maintenance
- Specific components when combined together have been proven to slow down the aging process. Some of these include; vitamins C and E, taurine, zinc, selenium, chondroitin, and other antioxidents
- Meets all standards provided by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO)
The final stage of my nutrition plan is based on the nutritional requirements for my dog when he becomes a senior. (9-10 years of age) Although we do not like thinking of our dogs one day becoming seniors, getting old is one of life's few guarantees and it is because of this fact that we need to look out for the well being of our pets when they reach this point of their lives.
After researching the hundreds of possible senior based dog foods, I have decided to keep my Labrador on the Labrador Retriever 30? Formula. I have decided this because this food has all the necessary components that senior dogs need and I feel that my Labrador will do very well on this food in his elder years. Also by not switching food, I avoid the potential of temporary setbacks during the transition from adult to senior foods. Advantages
- We all know that as dogs get older, they tend to spend more of their time sprawled on the couch: therefore, by feeding my couch potato Labrador Retriever 30? Formula, his fat intake will remain low and his protein intake will remain high to help him retain his muscle mass
- Joint protection will be aided by the presence of glucosamine and chondroitin
- In order to aid the digestive tract chicory extract has been added to help regulate this vital body system. (fructo-oligosaccharides) Has your dog been a really good boy lately?
How to Crate Train Your Puppy
One of the most difficult hurdles that any new puppy owner faces is housebreaking or as it is sometimes also referred to; potty training or doing business. Although there is no tactic that comes with a 100% guarantee, one of the most successful methods is crate training. Crate training can drastically reduce the amount of stress on the owner and the puppy that often comes with training the new four-legged member of your family.
How To Set Up A Quarantine Tank For Tropical Fish
Do I Need A Quarantine Tank?
Horse Training Facts And Maxims
To the uninitiated horse owner, there are timely facts about horses they should know. In fact, when someone first gets a horse these timely facts should be studied and learned.
Three Important Safety Products for Your Dog this Summer
Keeping your dog safe is similar to keeping a child safe, you need to constantly be on alert. There are certain dangers a dog faces, especially in urban and suburban settings where the risk of running away and getting hit by a car poses a serious threat. Keeping your pooch protected on your property even when you're not there to supervise, or keeping your dog from running off and becoming injured when playing around off leash, is reason enough to look for practical solutions. Below are three products that can help you and your companion enjoy some freedom while being safe!
Caring for Your Dogs Teeth
A dog, like a human baby, experiences the world through his mouth, by tasting and chewing on things. But, he also uses his mouth is as his hands. He carries and pulls with it as well as defends himself. Therefore healthy teeth and gums are very important.
Train Your Dog With Respect
Proper training of your dog should begin when he is a puppy. The first four months of a dog's life are very important in the training of your dog. This is when they learn behaviors that they will practice in the future.
Positive Dog Training Methods
Dog training can provide a tremendous amount of satisfaction. Every dog should know at least the basics for living with people: come, sit, stay, don't jump up on people, and so on. Beyond the basics, there is an endless variety of things you and your dog can enjoy doing together. Dogs who are a joy to be with have much more flexibility in what they can do with humans, and so they have more fun. Positive dog training methods are often easier to use, as well.
Worms in Your Dog... Gross!
Of all the parasites a dog can catch, worms take home first prize for Most Disgusting. Nobody wants to imagine little worms crawling around in their dog's digestive system, but it's a fairly common ailment that's easily passed from dog to dog. So if he does happen to contract them, tell your furry fella not to feel ashamed of his worms! They're easily prevented and controlled with medication that your vet routinely prescribes to hundreds of pooches just like him.
Seeing Past Cuteness When Selecting the Best Dog Breed For You: Part 3 of 3
Are there so many great dog breeds out there that you just can't decide where to begin? If so, let's break it down and sort through all the options. In Part 3, the final article in this three part series, we'll continue looking at the seven Groups of dogs that are acknowledged by the American Kennel Club. We'll learn what it is that brings various breeds together to form a Group. Learning about each Group will narrow down our search for the best Breed(s) for us.
Dogs - Mans Best Friend
Dogs have been known as man's best friend for decades. Owning a dog can be a positive, enjoyable experience for the entire family. Keep in mind however, that the decision to own a dog is an important one that should not be taken lightly. A dog is not just a fun diversion or entertaining gift. Owning a dog requires a commitment from you that will last the lifetime of the dog. The responsibilities of owning a dog and the joys of owning a dog hold an equal place of importance. If you are considering bringing a dog into your family, here are some important considerations for you to keep in mind.
Dog Training: Teaching Your Dog Self-Control
Is your dog one of those that pulls at his leash constantly whenever there is a distraction? A child walks by, or he sees another dog? If a cat or small animal scoots by, or if a car wooshes in front of him, does he tug to get closer? Is he hard to manage while visiting the vet, or when you have visitors?
How To Avoid Bad Doggy Behavior, And Teach Your Puppy Some Manners
A poorly trained dog can embarrass its owner and offend other people - or even make them feel threatened.
Pet Doors: Giving Your Pet Freedom to Come and Go as They Please Helps Solve Behavior Problems
Westie Pups - Tips for Success in Housetraining
Perhaps the best way to train your westie pups not to relieve themselves in your house is to never let the behavior start in the first place. Learning to anticipate your westie puppies need to 'go' takes time, and extra attention to your pups when they are small, but it should make the learning process less stressful for everyone.
Breeding Your Goldfish
If you are keen on breeding Goldfish, you should know that it's not an easy task. It will take a lot of patience, a lot of space in the tank and quite a bit of money too. Don't get into breeding if you think it's going to be profitable, because it isn't! Breeding goldfish is best left to a professional but if you still want to breed them, here's how to begin:
Take that Junk out of your Trunk
Your local grocery store is chock full of food and treats that are stuffed with bad quality ingredients. It is a real shock that the shelves do not simply collapse under the weight of all that rubbish. Here are some bad protein items you will want avoid like the bubonic plague: Soybean meal, wheat or wheat middlings, corn gluten meal, corn meal, whole/crushed corn, and maize are all too often often used for their protein because they cost a heck of a lot less to include in a treat or food than their real-meat protein counterparts such as chicken.Food coloring can also be a big concern with regard to pet food and treats: it is not too unusual, for example, for biscuits to be dyed in order to make them look like fresh meat or vegetables. This would not be a huge thing if we were still the fifties, back when when food dyes were still based on plant-based compounds of one sort or another. But in order for pet food manufacturers to save money and increase longevity, they began producing food colorings largely from chemicals. All too many studies show that chemical food coloring makes hyperactive kids more so, and some dog trainers sat the same applies to hyperactive dogs as well.This artificial food coloring is still widely today despite the reality that they are entirely unnecessary and have been linked to certain medical problems. It is believed by large number in the medical field that if an ingredient is not organic to the body (such as chemical coloring), the body reacts to it and can create a lot of health issues. Pets care about taste, not color, so food dyes are more for people than for them.
Facts About Rottweilers
Looking for some quick Rottweiler dog facts? Here's a quick rundown of basics facts about Rottweilers.
Maintaining your Fish Bowls
Maintaining your fish bowl can be difficult sometimes. However, your fish bowl should be kept as hygienic as possible. Doing so should help prevent any health care problems for your fish. When you are cleaning your fish bowl, do it as quickly as possible, because it is dangerous for your fish to be out of its fish bowl. Only clean your fish bowl with a cleaner that is safe for your fish.
My Dog Won?t Stop Digging - What Can I Do?
Lonely, bored, tired of eating that same old stick, then maybe you would like to dig yourself a hole.
Terrorizing Your Cat with iRobot Vacuum System
Do you have a home robotic vacuum cleaner? They are all the new rage and quite innovative indeed. If you do not have one you eventually will have one, as that is how the future of vacuuming around the house will be done. Most household tasks will be done by simple robotic systems with at least a minimum of artificial intelligence programming. The ride on lawnmowers will move over and make way to the autonomous lawn mowing robots in the near future. Today a good vacuum is expensive and the iRobot is price competitive and they are selling like hot cakes. Only one problem, the family pets, do not like them much.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|