Breeding Your Goldfish
If you are keen on breeding Goldfish, you should know that it's not an easy task. It will take a lot of patience, a lot of space in the tank and quite a bit of money too. Don't get into breeding if you think it's going to be profitable, because it isn't! Breeding goldfish is best left to a professional but if you still want to breed them, here's how to begin:
Decide on the breed: You also must decide before hand what variety of goldfish you want to breed. Ideally, if you are a beginner you should decide on breeding a good quality single tail type fish like the comet.
Pair and choose the breeds: You must choose high quality goldfish to breed high quality goldfish. The goldfish you choose should be two-four years. A good quality goldfish would be assessed according to its finnage, body shape, size and color. They should be at least 4-6 inches or larger and very healthy. It's better to breed with younger fish as the older ones might produce eggs that are deformed and infertile.
* The ideal female goldfish would be heavy at the rear, protruding on the left part of her body and her anal area would be soft.
* The ideal male goldfish would be a great chaser and there should be signs of his breeding tubercles on his gills and pectoral fins.Begin with two females and three males. The idea is to have two males for every female.
Time to breedHere's the time plan to breed goldfish ?
* You would need to plan a year ahead in the months of July or August. This is when most breeders sell their surplus fish at cheaper rates. If you skip this period than would find it hard to find a good breeding quality pair of goldfish.
* During the winter you must feed the fish and help them build enough body mass to last the winter and be ready for spawning in the early spring. By October or November, your fish would need less food and this is the time to not only clean the fish but also separate the males from the females.
Cleaning the fish: The solution you need to clean the fish is one measure of Terramycin, 80 drops of Formaldehyde and 6 drops of copper sulphate in four gallons of water. The solution should be at the right temperature and the fish should get enough oxygen to breathe. Allow the goldfish to remain in this solution for 20 minutes and then move them to a separate container of clean water while you prepare a spawning tank.
* Make sure you make the new tank a natural spawning area with bushy natural plants, artificial fibers or spawning mops and coconut fibers, all materials that can receive the spawn. Goldfish need such props for spawning.
Size of the spawning tank: You will need at least a tank that can hold 20 gallons of water. If the fish were bigger than you would need a bigger tank.
* Now that the fish are clean and the tank is clean too, do not feed the fish anything for the next two months except some amount of live food like insect larvae,worms, and brine shrimp. This preparation will help the females develop healthy and the males, milt that is needed to fertilize the eggs.
* If the winters are too cold in your area, you can consider using a heater.
* Watch the male goldfish developing breeding tubercles that look like white pimples on their gill covers and the pectoral fins.
* Watch the females become rounder body as it fills up with roe or eggs.How do you spot the spawning moment?
* Spawning usually happens in the early morning.
* The colors of all the goldfish will look brighter then before.
* The fish would group together while swimming.
* The males will be chasing the females at random.
* Finally the active males zero in on one particular female and chase her more than before.
* The chase will intensify with the male getting aggressive and pushing against the female goldfish till she ejects her eggs.* As the eggs are out the male will fertilize them by depositing milt over the eggs.
* The eggs will fall through the water, landing on plants. They stay in the same spot till they hatch.
* The spawning may begin again after some days of rest.
Point of note: Goldfish eat their eggs. Of the 10,000 eggs that are laid in one spawning session, hardly any will be left if the fish are not removed. So once the eggs are laid, move the parents back to another tank.
Dane Stanton - www.goldfish-secrets.com
Dane Stanton is an expert on goldfish health care. To visit his website visit http://www.goldfish-secrets.com for more information on Goldfish care and other aquarium related topics.*Recommended*
Dogs & Kids: Happy Together
Dogs and kids, it's a combination that at it's best can be the stuff of childhood dreams. At it's worst, it can be a source of heartache and pain and even injury. How can you ensure that your child and Man's Best Friend have a loving and safe relationship? Mostly, it's the responsibility of the adults of the house to teach toddlers and even older children that a dog is not a toy. It's a living, breathing creature that feels pain, shame and humiliation as much as love, pride and happiness. A dog that bites a child may only be defending itself the only way it knows how. But to minimize ever having to worry about a parent's worst nightmare, family animal psychologist, Larry Lachman, M.S., offers the following advice:
Buyer Beware: Purebred Dog Myths
Every month I am approached by dog owners of my breed who complain about how poorly behaved, how sickly, how untrainable, and generally my breed is and how deeply they resented spending money on this breed. I listen patiently, but time taught me not to defend 'good' breeders, or explain to the angry owners how their own ignorance cuased them to become victimized.
Did You Know?
German Shepherds were among the first dogs trained for police work- beginning around 1900 in Ghent, Belgium.
Nervous Cats, Wining the Trust of a Timid Cat
Nervous cats hide from people, they do not readily present themselves for petting, and may seem downright scared of you.
Doggy Dental Care: Teeth Cleaning 101
Your dog's dental health is so important for his total well-being... and for guaranteeing him a long and happy life. So don't give him the brush-off! Make tooth cleaning a daily ritual that your dog will look foward to as something the two of you do together.
How to Crate Train Your Puppy
One of the most difficult hurdles that any new puppy owner faces is housebreaking or as it is sometimes also referred to; potty training or doing business. Although there is no tactic that comes with a 100% guarantee, one of the most successful methods is crate training. Crate training can drastically reduce the amount of stress on the owner and the puppy that often comes with training the new four-legged member of your family.
How To Stop Your Cat Scratching Your Furniture - Forever!
Your cat scratching at your furniture can not only leave you out of pocket but also very frustrated and annoyed at your cat for being such a bad little kitty. Cats need to scratch, it is something that cats instinctively do, not as you may think, in order to sharpen their claws, but to remove the old layers of their nails.
Dogs and Old Age, How To Care For Your Aging Canine
Now that you're dog has shown you so much love andbrought you so much joy throughout your many yearstogether, it's time that you return the favor when the dogreaches his elder years. Caring for an older dog is much likecaring for an elderly person. Knowing how to do that willhelp comfort your dog immensely.
Online: The Fastest, Cheapest, Easiest Way to Buy and Sell a Horse
Selling a Horse
Why Does My Cat Drink Dirty Water?
You know that cats should always have a supply of water, especially if you are feeding them dried food. There on your nice clean kitchen floor is a bowl of nice clean fresh water, in a nice clean bowl.
How To Care For your Pet Dog
He will be there by your side, as your loving companion ? he will offer you protection if ever the need arises. Pet dog owners in turn must know how to look after their pet dog, and be responsible for it. The dog's needs are simple and easy to follow. When puppies come home they need lots of love and attention. They may stress a little at first, as this is probably the first time they are away from their mother and their littermates. It is important that you begin the process of socialization, generally integrating your new pet into your family and teaching it to relate to people and other animals through gentle play, interaction and having pleasant encounters with family friends and pets
Dog Worms -- Dont Let Them Get Started
There may be no warning before dog worms strike.
Pros and Cons of Buying Pet Medicine Online
Pets are many things in many ways but they are not responsible. Not outside of very limited doggy parameters. This means that you are 100% responsible for your pet's health. In this day of seemingly limitless online medication options, the only way to face this challenge is through education. Freedom of choice is only a benefit when you are familiar with the choices.
Are You Feeding Your Cat The Right Food?
What should you feed your cat to make sure he or she will have the necessary nutrition? What is the ideal mix of food to help your cat live to the limit of it's life span?
Choosing Dog Tags for Your Canine
Remember when you first met your dog? He was fresh and new, and you were just getting to know each other. You went through training together, perhaps even ate together. With time, you and your dog became very close ? even closer than you are to a lot of people you know. Your dog is special to you. He might be your best friend, a rascally mischief-maker, or just an accessory to your lifestyle. He depends on you for feeding, play, and discipline. You depend on him for companionship, a connection with the animal world, or household security and protection. For these reasons and more, you should protect your dog from harm, and yourself from loss, by getting him a dog tag.
Maintaining your Fish Bowls
Maintaining your fish bowl can be difficult sometimes. However, your fish bowl should be kept as hygienic as possible. Doing so should help prevent any health care problems for your fish. When you are cleaning your fish bowl, do it as quickly as possible, because it is dangerous for your fish to be out of its fish bowl. Only clean your fish bowl with a cleaner that is safe for your fish.
Rimadyl the Wonder Drug - Or Is It?
If Your Dog Suffers From Arthritis, Consider The Natural Alternative:
Brushing Up On Dog Grooming
Is your dog due for a makeover? Has she been enjoying the great outdoors a little too much? Here are some simple tips for helping your dog put her best paw forward.
Introducing a New Puppy into a Home with an Existing Pet
It was November and I had spent 3 months searching for just the right puppy. Finally we had found what we considered to be the perfect one. Luckily she was already 7 weeks old so she could already be separated from her mother. I was so excited when we brought her home, our new addition to the family. I made sure I had all the required supplies; food and water dishes, food, a bed and a crate. We were ready. The fact that we already had a cat never really caused me much concern. I figured they would give each other a good sniff and surely it would not take long for them to become the best of friends and live happily ever after. I had visions of our little puppy all curled up with our cat in front of the fireplace.
Train Your Dog With Respect
Proper training of your dog should begin when he is a puppy. The first four months of a dog's life are very important in the training of your dog. This is when they learn behaviors that they will practice in the future.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|