Two years ago I was in a wheelchair and told I would be paralyzed for life. Today I can jog on a treadmill. How did this happen?
Well, I can't tell you how it happened exactly. My recovery truly was a miracle. But what I can tell you is how important it was for me to stay focused and inspired throughout my recovery.
People tell me my story has inspired them. Let me tell you how to find this inspiration within your own lives.
(1) Believe anything is possible. To overcome obstacles, you have to see your way through to the other side. You have to visualize yourself overcoming them. Draw inspiration from that vision.
(2) Stay focused. Obstacles are not a one-time event in life. When you try to get out of a difficult situation, no doubt you'll encounter one obstacle after another along the way. Expect it, and discipline yourself to stay focused. Never lose sight of your goals.
(3) Resist the urge to sleep five minutes longer. Who hasn't hit the snooze button several times in a row, only to realize those extra few minutes of sleep don't really help? Resist the urge to sleep longer than you need. Life is short enough. Think about what you can do to improve your life if you add a few minutes to each day. Get out of bed, face your obstacles and move closer to your goals with every waking moment.
(4) Don't stop just because someone tells you to stop. I can't tell you how many times people told me not to get out of my wheelchair, not to take so many steps, not to balance on one foot, not to try running without a leg brace. But I knew I had to do those things or I'd be in that wheelchair the rest of my life. Your life might be filled with obstacles and your progress toward your goals might be slow. Don't worry about that. Just realize that by moving ahead when others urge caution, you'll reach your goals faster than you would have otherwise.
(5) If you're going to worry about something, worry about improving. People love to worry. Sometimes worrying seems like our favorite pastime. The next time you worry about something, ask yourself what all that worrying is really accomplishing. Then ask yourself how many positive things you could accomplish in the amount of time you spend worrying. When you focus on positive ways to overcome your difficulties, you move closer to a life free from worry. If you're going to worry about anything, worry about doing more of that!
(6) Believe you can control your situation. Though problems seem to arise despite our attempts to keep them away, we still control our own lives. You might not believe that. If you don't, it's because you've trapped yourself in your situation and can't see your way out. You always have the ability to move yourself forward. You just need to believe in your ability and take positive steps to control your situation. It's not a lack of control that keeps you from moving forward. It's your inability to see that power within you.
(7) Know that once you give up mentally, you're beat. If you think you can accomplish something, you will. If you think you won't accomplish something, you won't. When I was wheelchair-bound, I suffered a lot of pain and frustration, a lot of wishing that things had been different. But not once did I believe I wouldn't walk again. Not once! I truly believe God helped me get out of that wheelchair precisely because I never doubted I would walk again. Don't lose your hope, not even for a minute. You have nothing better to do in this life than to try to overcome your obstacles and reach your goals.
(8) Remember you have one life. Regardless of your beliefs about afterlife and other types of spiritual existence, you're here right now, in this life, and you only have one shot at it. Why not make the most of it? Don't waste this life dwelling on problems and hurdles and what-ifs and what-could-have-beens. Make the most of this life and the situation you're in. Spend your time making improvements wherever you can. What could be better than that?
Whenever I speak to an audience or give a radio interview, people tell me they thought their lives were tough until they heard about my situation. That's not the point. It doesn't matter if you think my situation is worse than yours, or vice versa. What matters is that I believed I would walk again, and now I can walk. Whatever difficulties you have, believe that you can get through them and you will.
Find inspiration, hold onto it and stay inspired. What could be more important than that?
About The Author
Jay Monteer worked in law enforcement until an accident in September 2001 put him on disability. Now he visits hospital patients and speaks to different groups about the miracle of his recovery. To read more about Jay's story, visit www.jwrites.com/t11.html.
Universal Thought System Language Keywords
Before we are able to use the Universal Thought System in a positive expansive manner, we must learn to use certain words in our language more effectively. The prime characteristic of the Universal Thought System is its consistency. It may not be used to manipulate. It may not be used to gain an advantage. It treats everyone equally. It eliminates the negative side of opposites. Why is this Universal Language so critical to our progress? In our thoughts and actions, we either seek idols or we seek truth. When we find the truth all our answers are provided. Truth contains all answers to every problem. Truth has always existed and will always exist. Our beliefs and feelings color our truth. They act as filters between our truth and our illusions.
I Believe in You!
Ally Becker came home from school after Varsity basketball practice and was extremely gleeful. She looked frantically for her Father and walked into the kitchen, the laundry room and finally the living room."Dad!!" Ally yelled.
Accelerate Your Abilities
In today's fast-paced life, the wins usually go to those with exceptional skills and abilities. The old quote is true, "The race is not always won by the swift and the strong, but that is the way to bet."
Second Thoughts? Think Again!
Life is perfect. If you have read these articles long enough, you have seen this written in several different forms and ways. There is even a series on it in one of my ebooks. Life is perfect is a way of living for me. If I understand that I have the ability to create my life by the actions I take, then I understand that both the life I live today and the life I will live tomorrow is perfect in that sense.
Direct Answers - Column for the week of May 24, 2004
Stop Trying to be Perfect
In the moment of completing a thought or action, it becomes "perfect," within our ability to do it. Any process is perfect, in relationship to what it created. In your sojourn in this world you are in a state of perfection trying to get to a place of perfection. Taking the first step on your journey is just as perfect as taking the 100th step or the 1000th. You do not have to try to be perfect, you are perfection in motion.
Thoughts on Loving
Loving. It seems like such a simple concept. But those who have mastered the act of loving are close to non existent. I'm not so much talking about the love between a husband and a wife, a father and a son, or the love between two friends?I'm talking about love in a more general sense. The love that isn't concerned with what it will get in return, for there can be no expectations with this type of love. I'm talking about the love of mankind, the love of people?merely because they are God's, and they deserve to be acknowledged in such a way. The love that I believe Jesus possessed as he walked from town to town, meeting strangers, touching lepers, noticing the unnoticed.
Exceptions To The Rule
Yesterday I turned 48, and she just turned 21. Uh-oh, I can hear the gears turning in your heads already.
Over the years I've learned to challenge my audiences to turn their response to the ideas and information they receive into results. According to the Christian story, the first couple, Adam and Eve, was instructed to be fruitful - produce some results.
Showing Your Appreciation - How To Make Others Feel Special
"There are fine things which you mean to do someday, under what you think will be more favorable circumstances. But the only time that is surely yours is the present, hence this is the time to speak the word of appreciation and sympathy, to do the generous deed - to sacrifice self a little more for others." Grenville Kleiser
Direct Answers - Column for the week of June 30, 2003
No More Frustration: The Thorns of Opportunity - Part II
The quest for the ultimate victory.
Using Failure to Further Your Future
"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." Margaret Thatcher
A Journey of a Thousand Miles
There is a Chinese proverb that says, "A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
Number that Decides Your Success
God has created human beings to live successfully. He has no discrimination in this regard.
Life Is Worthwhile If You
(Excerpted from the Jim Rohn Two Day Weekend event - June 22 and 23, 2001)
Keep on Keeping on!
Whenever we are working on our dreams we are going to run into some road blocks or obstacles. The important thing for us to remember is that these are only temporary set backs. We should treat each obstacle as a learning experience and make a mental note not to take that road again. As long as we keep this in mind we won't give up on our dreams.
The story of the three bricklayers has been around for many years. The reason it continues to be told is the messages that the story tells. The following is the story of The Three Bricklayers:
The Finer, and Finest, Things in Life
In America, we have a saying: The finer things in life. These are the things that most people talk about when they are speaking of thing of high quality. In fact, much of that which propels people to pursue success, particularly financial success, is the desire to participate in the finer things in life.
Live After 40
"For man, as a specie, and unlike other inhabitants of the globe, does not just ravage mindlessly the planet of its bounties in order to survive. He endeavours to leave behind legacies of the application of his mind." -Rasheed A. Gbadamosi
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|