7 Steps to Successful Publishing
The decision to publish a book is very exciting! It causes the creative juices to flow and the eyes to light up. But wait ? before you begin the publishing process, know about the seven most important steps you need to know before publishing your book. Make sure that you take every step into careful consideration so that your road to success is an easy one:
1. Know why you are writing a book. Are you writing your memoirs for the family, are you writing a community cookbook, are you writing a book of regional interest or are you writing a national bestseller? All of these goals are valid, but each goal has different implications for your business plan. Know why you are writing and know that you can create that bestseller if that is your goal.
2. Treat publishing as a business. You are passing beyond the realm of author into the exciting world of publishing. You are not just a writer, you are about to become a publisher who wants to produce a profitable book, and you want to keep the profits for yourself.
3. Write a business plan. Being aware of the business aspect of publishing is not an end in itself ? you need to formally write your plan. It does not need to be a fifty page document with every accounting possibility recorded, but it should outline all of the costs that you will encounter from obtaining the necessary funds to knowing the price of mailing a book. The business plan needs to account for future expenses as well as pre-publication expenses.
4. Plan for publicity and marketing. You must plan for the publicity and marketing of your book. You can have the best book in the world, but if no one knows about it, no one will buy it. You don't want to print books that sit in your garage. You want to print books that will sell, sell, sell!
5. Write about a subject that you know well. Don't write about something that you can't talk about without effort. Write about a subject with which you are very familiar and that excites you. Writing the book will establish you as an expert in your field, so choose the topic that causes everyone you know to come to you for advice. The publicity will then be so easy that you will love being the "star".
6. Know who will buy your book. So many authors think that "everyone" needs and should buy their books. Not so. Perhaps "everyone" needs their books, but not "everyone" will want to buy. Research and know WHO will actually WANT your book and market, market to them. They will buy!
7. Look for non-bookstore markets and do not be afraid of the large discounts. Bookstores are a hugely important market for most authors, but they are far from being the only place to sell books. There are many non-traditional markets that buy books in large quantities with no returns. This is a great market ? sales made are guaranteed sales not consignment sales. Do not be afraid of the larger discounts when you make those large volume sales. The books you sell are actually SOLD.
Think how much more pleasant a journey is if you know which fork in the road will lead you to smooth driving and which fork in the road will lead you through potholes. Knowing the most effective publishing steps before you print will make your publishing career fun and profitable.
Copyright © 2003 Ink Tree Ltd.
Ink Tree Ltd. Helping writers publish, market and sell books! If there is a book inside you ? profit from it. Learn everything you need to guide you from Idea to Book? to Success ? the fast, easy, simple way. Publish your own book with one-on-one expert help from publishing professionals who have created numerous bestsellers and sold hundreds of thousands of books.
Phone: 1-866-500-8733 or 403-295-3898 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About The Author
Ink Tree Ltd. is a book marketing firm that helps writers publish, market and sell books. Learn everything you need to guide you from Idea to Book... to Success - the fast, easy, simple way.
Email Newsletter Software
Should I create my newsletter in a word processor or email program? Which email program should I use?
How To Write Effective Ezine Ads... And Then Some
When writing an ezine ad, there is a big mistake that most people make when writing an ad. That is, they try to sell something in those ads, and there is a good reason why you don't want to do that.
10 Ways, How To Get Significant Exposure For Free
Ezine are one of the best source of information on the web today. They are generally free and can make a huge impact marketing success if used correctly. Ezines may include ads, articles, jokes, quotes, advertorials, business opps, brief up dates about the publisher's site or business, testimonial and much more.
OK People - Lets Get Real!
It's all about numbers - or so some ezine publishers would have you believe.
E-zine Promotion: 10 Smart Reasons To Charge A Fee For Your E-zine
You publish an e-zine, you may consider to startcharging a fee.
Ezines, Ezines Everywhere!
There are literally thousands of ezines being published online these days. Sometimes it is hard to know which ones are best for advertising in, reading, subscribing to and so on.
Ezine Publishing Donts
When I teach ezine classes, I ask the students what they've disliked about the newsletters they've subscribed to. What makes them push that "delete button" or unsubscribe? Below are some of their answers.
Newsletter Design Ideas - How to Get Creative Ideas for Your Newsletter Template
If you want to have a successful newsletter, you need to have a professional newsletter design. And the more newsletter design ideas you get, the better layout you can design. Here are some tips on how to find creative design ideas for your newsletter...
Ezine Advertising Strategy Exposed-15 Tips to Boost Your Profits
In my opinion, Electronic Magazine (Ezine) advertising is the greatest, untapped source of online advertising available today.
7 Ways You Can Make a Huge Impression With Your Ezine Welcome Message
Many times I receive a Welcome Message from someone after I subscribe to their ezine that leaves me wondering what I just jumped into. A welcome message is one of your first contacts with your subscriber, and it should say something that sets you apart from everyone else right at the get-go. It is, after all, one of your first impressions with prospective customers ? and first impressions absolutely do count on the internet. Not only is your welcome message a natural opportunity for you to connect with your subscribers, it's also your chance to make sure they remember you with positive anticipation so that they will be eager to open up your next message when it arrives.
Are We Dating or Married?
You've convinced me that I want to sign up for your newsletter. Now that I'm ready, what do I do? I go to thesignup box on the current web page and complete the form.But wait... what are you asking for? If you're asking formore than my name and email address, I will hesitate.
Internet Marketing Strategy: 9 Pragmatic Ways Increase Your E-zines Subscription
It is possible to increase the subscription to youre-zine or newsletter.
WHOOPS -- There Goes My List! (Are You Backing Up YOUR Biggest Asset?)
Have you ever accidentally lost an important file on your computer? Perhaps your computer crashed (again) or your cat sauntered over a dooming sequence of keys. Remember that little pang in your stomach you felt when you realized that file was gone for good?
10 Winning Ezine Publishing Tips
1. Share your personality with your subscribers. Your subscribers are more likely to want to buy from someone they feel like they know.
Should You Upgrade Your E-zine From Text to HTML?
A few years ago, when I first started seeing HTML e-zines in my inbox, I admit I was jealous. They were attractive, attention getting, snazzy. They made my text e-zines look boring.
The Disintermediation of Content
Are content brokers - publishers, distributors, and record companies - a thing of the past?
Publishing Special Reports And Ebooks At No Cost
So you'd like to start publishing special reports and ebooks to use as marketing tools and to sell as products. But you have no budget to get this new venture going. Here's a tip to help you get up and running at no cost.
Writing Effective Newsletters
It's obvious but true that your newsletter can only be effective if people bother to read it. Nowadays we are all drowning in an excess of information that comes at us in all directions and in all forms so this really is the biggest obstacle you have to overcome. To persuade your audience to read what you have to say, you should follow some basic rules:
How to Choose a Good Newsletter Name
Good newsletter names are usually 2-4 words. If shorter, they can't explain what your newsletter is about, and if longer, they will be hard to remember.
Writing, Publishing, Self Publishing, Website Promotion, Blogging, Internet Marketing
Are You Ready For The Publishing Revolution?
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|