8 Great Journaling Tips
Mix a martini, don't forget the olives, or pour yourself atea, relax and enjoy!
There are no hard-set rules for keeping a journal. How oftenyou write, time you spend, and how rigorously you maintain aregular journaling schedule are matters of personal choiceand circumstance. Therefore, it is important to find whatworks for you. Here are nine guidelines to assist you.
1. Allow for regular writing times. Find a time of day thatworks well for you and use this time every day. As much aspossible, control interruptions during this time.
2. Give yourself an inviting writing environment. If youneed quiet space, find a time that you can write withoutnoise and interruption. If the hum of the world around youis soothing rather than distracting, plan to write during atime when other people will be engaged in their own work andnot looking over your shoulder.
3. Develop a centering ritual. Associating journaling withanother pleasurable habit can guide to strengthen theroutine and create an atmosphere of self-nurturing. When youare ready to write in your journal, consider pouringyourself a cup of tea or coffee. Play relaxing music. Take amoment for meditation, deep breathing, or prayer.
4. Prompt your writing with a routine self-reflectionquestion: Triggers such as "What are you feeling right now?"or "What's on your mind?" Anais Nin suggests asking "whatfeels vivid, warm, or near to you at the moment?"
5. Write because you desire to write, because you know it'sa comfortable place to be you. Don't allow journaling tobecome an obligation or chore. Remember not to demand moreof yourself than you can give. If you have missed a day, orseveral days, accept that journaling, like life, isimperfect and go on. Write the next time you have a chance.
6. Create a positive feedback loop. As you continue to usethe journal as an opportunity to be with and learn aboutyourself, you will find that the practice gains a momentumall its own. Discovering your own hidden depths piques yourcuriosity and stimulates you to continue, setting up apositive feedback loop between your conscious andunconscious mind.
7. Emphasize process rather than product. An importantpurpose of journal writing is simply expressing andrecording your thoughts and feelings. Concentrate on theprocess of writing -- keeping the flow of words rather thanworrying about the result. If your goal is to have specificaudiences read your piece, go back to it later and edit it.Use your journal as the raw material for more polishedwriting.
8. Learn from your own experiences. It is always good toreread your entries a month or so down the road. Itdemonstrates your growth -- a nice pat on the back for allof us. Look for patterns and correlations. What improved,what stayed the same? Learning from yourself is so muchmore gentler on the self-esteem. Use objectivity to reviewyour life from a different perspective with hindsight.
Relax, have fun, and don't forget to laugh! Journal writingis its own reward. Once you get started, your journal willbecome another one of your good friends -- one who is alwaysavailable and never presents a deafening ear. Your journalloves you for being you.
Catherine Franz has taught journaling for the last 15 years,including two US Presidents and First Ladies, and hundredsof workshops internationally. She currently has twoinformational documents available on journaling at:http://www.abundancecenter.com/Store/main.htm
7 Devastating Writing Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Mistake One: Don't take that tone with me!
You Dont Need Inspiration!
Or do you?
Writing Business Letters That Get The Job Done
Despite the widespread use of e-mail in commerce today,traditional business letters are still the main way that the majority of businesses officially communicatewith their customers and other businesses.
Review In 29 Steps Plus One
I just finished to read a book. A story for kids (yes, I like them), interesting, told with participation and sometimes irony.
Top Seven Ways to Write your Print or eBook Fast
Want to write your book? But, need a blueprint on why it will help your profits and brand your business? Need to know each step so you can delegate it to an assistant or do it yourself in just an hour a day for less than a month?
What is Screenwriting?
Simply put, it is the art of writing scripts for a visual medium. Unlike a play where the action is "talked out," the action within a screenplay is "acted out" visually. The old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" was never more appropriate in relation to screenwriting. Having had the benefit of reading many screenplays as a reader, one of the most annoying, teeth grinding, nails against a chalkboard, signal of bad screenwriting is when the reader is told something instead of shown something. For example, I can't put a number on the amount of screenplays I've read with descriptions like this:
How to Create Incredible Characters Easily
Creating incredible characters can be easy if you know of a few simple rules:
Become the Writer You Always Dreamed of Being
So you want to be a writer, except you don't know where to begin. Heck you can't even think of something to write about let alone how you're going to get paid for writing. Maybe you have gotten over those humps but can't figure out why you're not a successful, awarding winning writer yet. Well, here are several tips to get you through all of those problems and then some.
Do You Know How To Write English For Global Audiences?
When you write for international audiences, mainly directly in English, you will need to develop an audience profile. In particular, you will have to show consistency and clarity in style/expression and you will have to be culturally sensitive. Both choices will make your documents easier to understand and translate and therefore, will decrease the cost of the localization project.
Win More Clients, Projects and Freelance Jobs By Making Three Small Changes
Iā??ve spoken to hundreds of editors, employers, and project managers about how they choose a freelancer for a job. Whether they were reviewing job applications or considering project bids, they all had one thing in common. As every one of them started to look at the applications, they had their skepticā??s hat on.
Essay Types and Modes Youll Need to Write for College
A Single Technique
Writing is hard work, and like all hard work, one tries to avoid it if possible. Yet writers feel the urge to write, the need to write, and the inspiration to write, but these are not what produces. The writer must have a technique for writing.
Top Ten Great Headline Ideas
What Makes a Great Headline?
How To Filter Description Through Your Characters
How do you describe a scene without slowing down the pace of your novel? What do you include? What do you leave out? Here's a neat trick: use your own experiences as a guide.
The Demon Fear
You have a great idea for a poem, a story, an essay, an article, a book, or a novel, but you hesitate to write it. Why?
Baby Boomers and Booklets ? Share and Share Alike
As one of those fabulous Baby Boomers, you now own a lifetime of valuable experiences, experiences that are useful to other people. You've given so much to your family all these years. It's dawning on you there may be a larger audience who would benefit from your knowledge. You're just beginning to hit your stride. Writing a book is too daunting. The speaking circuit isn't quite right, either. What else can you do?
Self-examination sheds light on a writers motives, goals, and aspirations, while self indulgence hide the obvious and absorbs any illumination before it occurs.
Write SMART: How to Create Terrific Writing Goals - And Achieve Them!
Open up your favorite calendar and circle today's date.
Slow Pokes: Short Story On The Changing World Of Writing
"No one will ever know who I am, I'm a nobody-writer from nowhere? I've had a thousand rejections from all the major publishers. It seems my destiny is never to be read, another nameless soul lost to the sands of eternity." Johnny's face twisted into a pained grimace, you could tell his heart was tied up in a pretzel knot of self-deprecation.
3 Quick and Easy Ways to Generate Story Ideas
There are many ways you can generate ideas you can use for your stories, articles and other creative pieces. Start with the three ways given below:
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|