Business Writing: 10 Great Authors
Great business writers combine narrative skills with sound judgment to create classics that help both the beginner and the mid-career professional.
Writing's completely subjective. What interests you may not interest me. But if somebody told me I could read the wisdom of only ten business writers, these are the ones I'd choose:
1. Socrates ? He was likely history's first "self-help" writer. He taught people to seek ultimate truths by questioning conventional wisdom and examining their own beliefs. He said folks shouldn't accept opinion as fact.
2. Sophocles ? Another guy with no last name. He created plays that usually centered on a single heroic character who chose an unpopular course of action. This dramatist may have been the first "niche" marketer.
3. Benjamin Franklin ? This multi-talented American championed succinct writing, and his epigrams became part of our national heritage. Ben warned, "He that speaks much is much mistaken." Franklin succeeded in multiple business ventures.
4. Mark Twain ? He's been called America's finest author because he wrote in American dialect, using phrases and speech unique to the United States. He punctured pompous prose, and laced his stories with regional references. (Many say Twain was also America's greatest lecturer.)
5. Claude Hopkins ? This researcher wrote "Scientific Advertising" in 1923. He's among the first to discuss the use of product samples and demonstrations.
6. Edward Bernays ? This nephew of Sigmund Freud is called the "father of public relations." He authored the classic book "Crystallizing Public Opinion" in 1923.
7. Dale Carnegie ? His book "how to Win Friends and Influence People" is one history's greatest guides. He discussed the value of developing one's personality, and wrote beautifully.
8. David Ogilvy ? This brilliant copywriter and ad agency executive believed in the value of brand image, and valued advertising research and testing.
9. John Caples ? His wonderful books like "Tested Advertising Methods" serve as a great source of information on powerful words, phrases, sentences, headlines, and much more.
10. Al Ries and Jack Trout ? They wrote the classic "Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind," which discusses ways to get your product or service remembered. (It's my favorite business book.)
Rix Quinn wrote "Words That Stick: A Guide to Short Writing with Big Impact." It's a writing book to help people who hate to write. It's available from your local bookstore, or from http://www.tenspeed.com/catalog/all/item.php3?id=1661
Five EASY Ways to Improve Your Business Writing
Have you ever wondered why some people can make millions writing books, and others (maybe you) can't even complete a simple business letter worth reading? Sure, natural talent probably accounts for some of their writing success. But really the best-selling authors achieved that level of success by devoting serious time and effort to perfecting their craft. Plus, they love to write.
Ghostwriting - Making Money by Being Invisible
My bookcase take up one whole wall in the family room, from floor to ceiling. It shows my eclectic reading tastes... fiction, non-fiction, Harry Potter next to murder mysteries and metaphysical literature. Also there are books I've written for the business sector - on negotiation, writing letters, communication skills, real estate sales and a lot more. The business books, however, have other people's names on them. I'm merely the ghostwriter.
8 Advantages to Writing a Book as an Entrepreneur
As an aspiring or an established entrepreneur, you are an expert in something, but does the rest of the world know? You have a wealth of information, experience and knowledge that you can package into a book that will benefit others. This truly is the information age and people want to know what you know.
Unusual Points of View
Most writers are familiar with first and third points of view and their variations. But have you ever experimented with alternative points of view? Below are some less used points of view, what I call "unusual points of view." Try using these when you're blocked or you want to try something new.
What Nationally Published Columnist, Cindy Laferle Has To Say About Writing & Journalism
Today Norm Goldman, Editor of sketchandtravel and bookpleasures is honored to have as a guest, the nationally published newspaper columnist and author, Cindy LaFerle. Cindy recently published a book entitled, Writing Home, a collection of essays focusing on home, family and motherhood.
Proof Positive: the importance of proofreading
Last week I was having a quick browse on eBay when something caught my eye. "Black patient shoes!" screamed the headline. "Must see!"
Writing the 8 WebCopy Headline Categories
My article this issue is an excerpt from a book I was readingrecently titled; The Copywriters Handbook by Robert Bly, asecondary small niche I focus on a bit. It categorizes thedifferent types of headlines which are most common and in usetoday.
Plotting Problems - Episodic Writing
The rejection letter says: "Your story, on the surface, appears to be well-told and has appealing characters. However, the writing is episodic; the story lacks direction."
How To Cut the Clutter and Win Readers
Most of us hate housework.
Go With The Flow: Write With Transition Words and Phrases
One of the most common weaknesses I see in day-to-daywriting is poor logical flow from one idea or point tothe next. This usually takes the form of a bunch ofseemingly unrelated phrases thrown together with littleor no sense of sequence, continuity, or relativity.
Under The Leaded Sky in Serbia by dr Mirjana Radovic
When one population in one century survived five wars, two wars in just ten years, enforcment by self a question it`s the war destiny of Serbian people or his dare. With what a Serbian people has merit this - with his frankness, levity, with collective and national damnation or just with that fact which they are living in the territories which from its geopolitical consideration always were interesting orbit of much other populations. Maybe all this is a colective spread why is Serbian people with centuries had carry on contest for survival in Balkan, together attest its claim and necessity for protection of a national identity and his roots. In that permanent war people had obtained and dissipates but often had pass a golgote, and invigorated in every countenance .
Self-examination vs Self-indulgence
Self-examination is brutally honest. Self-indulgence is brutally maudlin.
Ten Tips To Get Started Writing Your Book
You are far more likely to successfully write and publish your book if you follow these tips before you write a single chapter.
Need a Book Coach, Ghost Writer, or Editor? Part 1
If you either want to write a book to help others create a better life and boost business or you already have your book nearly finished, you may need book coaching to answer all of your questions "What step to take next?" Many writers think that all they need is a good editor and their book will be ready for publishing and promoting.
Make Your Mark Upon Humanity
The greatest gift you have to give to yourself and humanity is the book, the song, the poem the artwork or invention that is locked away within your consciousness.
An Inside Look at Proofreading
This is the ideal topic for us all to think about. We do it everyday, especially those of us that use the Internet the majority of the time. Web pages, business letters, articles, news releases, documentation and most certainly, advertisements.
Review In 29 Steps Plus One
I just finished to read a book. A story for kids (yes, I like them), interesting, told with participation and sometimes irony.
Novel to Screenplay: The Challenges of Adaptation
Who Else Wants To Make $3546 By Simply Pressing a Button!
If you have been online for any length of time you have probably stumbled across many of the incredible claims of online marketing gurus making thousands of dollars just by sending out simple emails with the click of a button.
Top Seven Essential Hot-Selling Points To Implement Before Writing Chapter One
Every part of your book can be a sales tool. When you include the below tips, you will have a roadmap to follow to keep your writing organized and compelling, and you'll sell more books than you ever dreamed of!
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|