Google Is Not Only A Search Engine!
When you now organize a street interview and ask people "What is Google", I assume more than 90 percent of the people answer that Google is a search engine. Indeed, Google is a search engine and it is probably its core business, but Google is much more!
A short overview of the main services of Google:
++ Category One : Google Web Search Features ++
- Besides the traditional Google search engines in different languages, there is also a local search engine available: Google Local. As Google Local is in beta, only US searches are possible.Are you living in Detroit and hungry and you want a taco, do a search on http://local.google.com and you get a list of all taco restaurants.
- Google Mobile : search with your cell phone online information
- Google Print puts book content right in the Google search resultshttp://print.google.com
- Calculator: Type a mathematical expression (e.g. 5+2*3) in the Google seach box and you get the result, even with complicated math!
- Definitions: when you search for 'define Personal Computer', you get the definition of that word;
- With Froogle, you can search for products (independent free service)http://froogle.google.com and http://labs.google.com/frooglewml.html (Froogle for your cell phone)
- With 'I'm Feeling Lucky?' next to the Google search box you will see directly the first web page for your query. You will not see the other search results at all.
- Movies: To find reviews and showtimes for movies playing near you, type 'movies', 'showtimes' or the name of a current film into the Google search box
- With PhoneBook you can search for US business and residence phone numbers in the Google search box, e.g. 'John, Fitzgerald, Washington'
- Q&A answers (all) your questions in the Google search box, e.g. birthplace Bill Clinton
- You can get specialized information in the Google search box of parcels, patents or other specialized numbers.
- Restrict your search to a specific site (Site Search), e.g. 'google site: www.wallies.info' for wallies.info pages with the word 'google'
- Stock Quotes in the Google search box, e.g. GOOG for the Google stock quote
- Weather conditions and a four-day forecast for a particular U.S. location, e.g. 'weather Miami, fl' in the Google Seach box;
- Travel information: To see delays and weather conditions at a particular airport, type the airport's three letter code followed by the word 'airport'; To check the status of a U.S. flight, type the name of the airline followed by the flight number.
- Google Alerts send you an email with the latest search results of your query.http://www.google.com/alerts
- With Google Catalogs you can search mail-order catalogs online.http://catalogs.google.com
- Search for images with Google Image Searchhttp://images.google.com
- Google Scholar enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature.http://scholar.google.com
- Google special searches: http://www.google.com/unclesam (U.S. Government), http://www.google.com/linux, http://www.google.com/bsd (BSD), http://www.google.com/mac.html (Apple Macintosh), http://www.google.com/microsoft.html
- Google University Search enables you to search to a specific school website.http://www.google.com/options/universities.html
- The Google web directoryhttp://directory.google.com/
++ Category Two : Webmaster Tools ++
- Enter 'link: www.wallies.info' in the Google search box will show you all pages that point to wallies.info;
- Add your URL to Google on http://www.google.com/addurl;
- Develop your own Google applications with Google Web API's.http://www.google.com/apis/
- Google Adsense: place relevant ads on your pages and get paidhttps://www.google.com/adsense/
- With Google Adwords you can create your own ads.https://adwords.google.com
++ Category Three : Stand alone services ++
- With the xml Google Sitemaps, https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/ the Google crawler should index faster your website. See also http://www.wallies.info/blog/item/132/index.html.
- Google Blog is the official weblog of the people behind Google:http://googleblog.blogspot.com
- Blogger is the free weblog service of Googlehttp://www.blogger.com
- With Google Maps can you search for a specific US location on street level and see a satellite image of that locationhttp://maps.google.com/!
- Gmail is Google email with 2GB spacehttp://www.gmail.com
- Google Groups are discussion groupshttp://groups-beta.google.com/
- Keyhole: nice satellite imagery of our world.http://www.keyhole.com
- Google Video enables you to search a growing archive of televised content ? everything from sports to dinosaur documentaries to news shows.http://video.google.com/
++ Category Four : Google Software
- Gmail Notifier : Check your Gmail messages without opening yourbrowser.http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/index?promo=gdl-en
- Google Deskbar lets you search with Google right from your Windows taskbarhttp://toolbar.google.com/deskbar/
- Google Toolbar is the open-source Googlebar for your browserhttp://toolbar.google.com/googlebar.html
- Search your own computer with Google Desktophttp://desktop.google.com/?promo=gdl-gds-en
- Picasa is free software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC: http://www.picasa.com
- Google Video Viewer is needed for Google Videohttp://video.google.com/video_download.html
++ Google Labs ++
Google labs showcases a few of our favorite ideas that aren't quite ready for prime time - http://labs.google.com/
- Google Personalized Search: Get the search results most relevant to youhttp://www.google.com/psearch
- Personalize your Google Homepage with information for youhttp://www.google.com/ig
- Save time online by loading web pages faster with Google Web Accelaratorhttp://webaccelerator.google.com/
- My Search History Easily access and manage your Google search history from any computerhttp://www.google.com/searchhistory/
- Find a taxi, limousine or shuttle using real time position of vehicles with Google Ride Finderhttp://labs.google.com/ridefinder
- As you type your search, Google Suggest offers keyword suggestions in real timehttp://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
- Google SMS: Get precise answers to specialized queries from your mobile phone or devicehttp://sms.google.com/ and http://www.google.co.uk/sms/
- Google Sets: Automatically create sets of items from a few exampleshttp://labs.google.com/sets
++ Various ++
- Google Store: pens, shirts, lava lamps of Google, http://www.googlestore.com/
Maybe there are a few services we've forgotten as this list is already so extensive.
Last to know the Google quote on Nasdaq (GOOG): http://quotes.nasdaq.com/asp/summaryquote.asp?symbol=GOOG%60&selected=GOOG%60
For comments on this article, please visit http://wallies.info/blog/item/171/index.html
Walter V. is a self-employed internet entrepreneur and founder-webmaster of several websites, includingwallies.info :: A snappy blog about snappy blue things :: blog | wiki | forum | links - http://wallies.infomblo.gs :: A snappy moblog community - http://mblo.gs
How to Boost Your Traffic and Profits with Content!
Are you aware of how vitally important and valuable CONTENT is to your online business? In fact, content can do more to build your business and profits than just about any other resource or service available.
Easy Steps to Get Onto Google Top Search Pages
To get on Google's top pages can be accomplished by following a few simple steps. The following procedure works well for companies working within a local region i.e. Lowell Pizza, or business with unique keyword phrases, i.e. Kraton thermoplastic rubber. The steps below outline a simple method to do content optimization. By following the procedure on your home page, you can achieve a high Google ranking. I will be assuming you have a basic understanding of html code.
Using Meta Tags Wisely to Attract Search Engines and Visitors
There are certain tricks and techniques in SEO industry, which can fetch you real quick and top ranking in short run and get banned for ever, which I am discussing in this article. Before optimizing any site, always follow code of ethics and never spam.
Search Engine Optimization that Works in the Long-Term
Search engines are constantly tweaking their ranking algorithms and when that happens some pages lose their top ranking positions. One such event was the infamous Florida Update. Many pages were practically kicked-out of the top 1000 pages for competitive keywords.
How Do I Improve My Web Site Conversion Rate? Part 2
Five and a Half Ways to Amp Up Your Search Engine Optimization
Statistics show that 85% of pages visited on the Internet come from people who have gotten there from a search engine. Statistically, people look first at the top of the first page of the regular search results, then the bottom, and then they go to the sponsored listings.
The Need of Popularity
In very simple words, the link popularity of your site meansthe amount of links coming to you from another sites.Every major search engine heavily weighs the link popularityof sites when ranking sites. Some engines even claims theywon't index sites that don't have at least one link pointing tothem from another site.Why they are doing that ? Just because zero popularity meansthat nobody has an interest related to your site content. Sincenobody is interested, why search engines should consider it ?From their point of view zero popularity is a time wasting.Under the above circumstances, the link popularity of your sitebecomes very important to you, especially if you aim to earntraffic by indexing your site in search engines directories.Let's see what you can do in order to increase the link popularity of your site. First of all you should concentrate on finding sites having a similar content to yours. This is the most important point of your campaign because all those links incoming from sites with similar theme will reinforce the credibility of your site.Then you should act on the following three ways: Link exchanging.Contact the owners asking for a link exchange.
Do-It-Yourself Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization, or SEO, is big business. If you rely on search engines to bring visitors to your business website, you need to rely on more than luck. Your business will lag far short of its potential unless your site is optimized and re-optimized for search engine results.
RSS Feeds - a Website Owners Friend in Disguise
We've all heard about it-it seems like all the buzz right now in the search engine marketing industry is RSS. If you're a website owner, than there are two ways your website can benefit from using RSS on your website-you can provide an RSS feed or, for the not-so-technically-inclined folks like me, you can use an RSS feed to keep your site's content fresh.
What is the Google Dance?
As with any good web developer, the ability to time the changes Google will update your website and refresh the content for better SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is in your favor. Welcome to the world of "Google Dance". The Google Dance is simply that the predetermination of when the actual update will commence.
Buying Textlinks: The Latest SEO Craze
With search engine algorithms changing seemingly daily, the quest to rank high in the search engines and stay there is proving to be quite the challenge for most webmasters. One of the more recent popular ways of achieving this is through buying text links on websites that have high PR's (page ranks) on Google and that also rank well in the other major search engines. Is buying text link placement worth it?
Why Search Engine Optimization is Not Enough
OK. So you've created a nice website with lots of interesting products and information. Now all you need is visitors.
Search Engine Optimization: Site Structure and Popularity
In the Global Internet era the industry presence is undoubtedly related to the company online presence. Where is the scope of the online presence limitations and does it refer only to the search engine optimization aspect or it broadens into many related components.
Breaking the Myth About Page Rank (PR)
The most difficult challenge most web designers face is getting traffic to your site. There are plenty of companies who promise to send traffic your way. Sadly, most of this traffic is not qualified. Yes, your hit counter will move higher, however, if its not qualified, you may find you have unhappy visitors to your site. Unhappy visitors will not click on your ads or purchase your products.
Search Engine Metrics: Organic Search vs. Paid Placement
Let me preface this report by citing advertisers in 2004 have spent 4 Billion dollars on search engine marketing according to the Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization (SEMPO).
Shopping Carts and SEO
Shopping and the Web. They go together like Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Well, maybe not quite, but Internet shopping is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world.
Is a High Search Engine Ranking Important for YOU?
In the process of designing a website for clients the question inevitibly arises "How do I get a good search engine ranking?". This is a very good point and the answer is not as clear cut as you may think.
Reciprocal Link Exchange Management Software
Google Website and Web Page Indexing for Dummies
You may have heard how important it is to have your website optimized for search engines, especially Google, which is currently the most popular worldwide. The reason for this is so your website will be ranked high in the search engines and people will see your site first, click on it, and increase your traffic and ultimately your sales. You might think this all sounds like a wonderful idea and want to get your web site optimized for Google, but you may have no idea how to go about it. Don't worry, getting your web page ready for the Google search engine is not as difficult as you might have thought. Google has a system called PageRank? that ranks the different web pages according to different standards. When you learn the standards you will know how to best optimize your page to get a high ranking in Google.
Importance of Keywords in Links to Your Website
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a very complex process. It is a long-term process that will usually never produce results that you can see in days or weeks. By now you probably heard about the importance of getting other websites to link to yours so that you can get a higher ranking in search engines. You listed your websites in some directories and also received a few other links to your website.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|