Goldfish Tips - Keeping The Aquarium Clean
You do clean your house don't you? Well you have to clean your Goldfish's house too and it's a lot simpler! Cleaning and maintaining a goldfish tank is a must because this breed is really dirty. Even a teenager's room would be better than a goldfish tank that's left alone for a week! The Goldfish are descendants of the scavenger Carp fish and that makes them scavengers too. They will eat a lot, which means that they will produce a lot of fish waste that will degrade the quality of the water. More than a complete overhaul of the tank, you will need to give frequent weekly cleanings.
How do you use a siphon to clean your goldfish tank?
You will need to use a siphon to clean your goldfish tank because it efficiently cleans up the muck, does not disturb your fish and is easy to use. It's essential to use during the partial water changes. A typical aquarium gravel vacuum would be a wide tube attached to a narrower siphon tube. By cleaning the gravel every week you would get rid of a lot of substances that could turn toxic for your fish over a period of time. Here's how you begin the siphoning process:
* Put a bucket on a low stool or even on the floor in front of the fish tank, and place the wide end of the gravel vacuum in the tank.
* Now gently suck at the other end and hold it over the bucket. Once you feel the water flowing into the tube let it flow into the bucket. Be careful not to swallow the water though- but even if you do, it isn't going to be harmful!
* Now that the siphon has started, use the wider end to suck out the dirt and debris out of the gravel and flow out of the tank into the bucket.
* Pass the vacuum end over all the gravel and keep doing so till you have removed 10 to 15% of the water.
* If gravel gets stuck in the vacuum, release the gravel by plugging the other end of the siphon tube with your finger or thumb.
* When you want to stop the siphon just raise both ends above the level of the tank
* To stop the siphon, simply raise either end of the siphon above the surface level of the fish tank.
There are gravel vacuum that can be attached to a faucet but this would mean that you be putting back tap water directly into the tank which might not be good for your goldfish if there is a marked temperature difference. Also you would be adding all the chemicals present in the tap water without allowing the chlorine to evaporate. The best option is to keep a container of fresh water overnight.
The Weekly 10-15%
Cleaning your tank is essential to your goldfish's well being. In fact, both your plants and your goldfish need fresh, clean and healthy water to survive. All you need to do is set aside a little time every week to do what is called a Partial Water Change or 10-15% Water Change.This weekly routine will not only keep your aquarium look nice and clean, it will keep your goldfish healthy. Partial water changes are no sweat ? all you have to do is scrape the algae, vacuum the gravel and replace the water you remove with fresh water. Here's what you need to do:
* Remove the algae on the surface of the tank with an algae scraper before you siphon out the water.
* As the name suggests you need to remove 10 to 15% of the water from your aquarium.
* There is no need to remove your fish to a separate container.
* As you remove the water use the siphon to remove the messy deposits in the gravel.
* In case you have an under gravel filter, then you would have to clean the gravel during weekly water changes.
* Do not take out all the ornaments and decorations and scrub them clean because you might destroy some of the much-needed beneficial bacteria that act as natural biological filter.
* You can clean the filters during the weekly water change but do not change all the cartridges, sponges, carbon packets, etc., as this might remove all the good bacteria and harm your goldfish in the long run.
* Also remember to rinse any new filter media in cool running water before introducing it to the system.
* Once you have siphoned out 10-15% of the water and most of the dirt and the alga, it's time to replace the amount of water you removed with fresh, dechlorinated tap water which has been left at room temperature over night, in container free of soap residue.
* Use a siphon to transfer the fresh water into the tank as this would be a gentle way to put the water back in and it won't disturb the plants and the gravel. You would also spill a lot less!
* Do make sure that the fresh water is of somewhat the same temperature as the water in the tank. You cannot just dunk in cold water because Goldfish are not tropical fish.Do remember to leave enough space between the top of the water and the tank hood so that your goldfish get enough oxygen to breathe in.
What not to do:
* If you see that the level in your aquarium has gone down, do not simply add water to make it level again. This is harmful, as you are not getting rid of the impurities in the water. You are just adding water without removing the dirt and thus making the water harder and more difficult for the goldfish to live in. So don't add water to top off the tank, do a partial water change.
* Never add water directly from the tap. Please keep a separate container only for aquarium use and leave the water overnight so that the harmful chemicals and chlorine evaporate.
* Please do not skip weekly water changes because if you do not partially change the water, you are allowing the build up of waste products like Nitrate that are not removed by the filter, and contribute to the growth of algae.
Dane Stanton - www.goldfish-secrets.com
Dane Stanton is an expert on goldfish health care. To visit his website visit http://www.goldfish-secrets.com for more information on Goldfish care and other aquarium related topics.*Recommended*
Which Of These Horse Catching Mistakes Do You Make?
The other day, I was invited to see my friend's new horse. He had her for about a month before I got to see her. When I arrived at his house, he met me outside and said, "C'mon?let's go see her." We stood at the fence and marveled at how beautiful she was. Excited, he asked, "You wanna pet her?" "Sure!" I said. So my friend grabbed the halter and went after her.
A Pregnant Stray Cat Adopted You ? And Now What?
It happens all too often. A family or cat friend gets adopted by a stray cat. And after a few weeks it turns out she's pregnant.
Is YOUR Child Ready for a Dog?
Are you considering buying a dog for your child or children?
Do You Know Whats Really In Your Pets Food?
The pet food industry, a billion-dollar, unregulated operation, feeds on the garbage that otherwise would wind up in landfills or be transformed into fertilizer. The hidden ingredients in a can of commercial pet food may include road kill and the rendered remains of cats and dogs. The pet food industry claims that its products constitute a "complete and balanced diet" but, in reality, commercial pet food is unfit for human or animal consumption.
Essential Oils and Our Pets
Before we talk about using the essential oils, we first should define what is an essential oil in the first place.
How to Maintain Your Love Affair With Your Dog: Part One - Training
Training Tips for a Happy and Healthy Relationship with Your Canine Companion
Personal Pet Check-Ups
For all pet owners, regular monitoring and "examinations" of your pet will give you a better idea of the animal's overall health and prove as good "quality" time for both you and your pet. Also, this may help you catch a problem in the early phases and certainly before it becomes life threatening. The list of things you can do during this time could be long but below we've taken the time to list a few of the most basic and easy to read signs of being "off color". In addition to the usual, these steps may help you in deciding your pet's actual state of health.
Goldfish Tips - Choosing The Right One
Tips to getting the right Goldfish
Your Dog and the Dentist: Learn the Drill
While "late is better than never," sooner is better than later, at least when it comes to your dog's dental health. Dental disease gets worse over time, and the longer you wait, the more damage that will have to be taken care of and the more expensive your vet bill will be.
What Dog Owners Need To Know About Dog Crate Training
Why should you use the dog crate training method?
Saving Ginger From Being Put To Sleep ? Part 2
The Story Continues...
Dog Training Information for Training Your Puppy
What You Should Never Feed Your Dog
Unfortunately, there are a number of household items which we tend to take for granted that are potentially very dangerous to your dog's health. It is especially important to be aware of this because as you know, dogs are essentially scavengers and will often eat just about anything they can sink their fangs into. I would say that may own dog is more like a mobile garbage disposal. It is also very important to be aware of these items since their sense of smell is so well developed that your pooch will be able to find what you may think is well hidden.
Are Exotic Cats a Threat to Public Safety? Why Exotic Pets Are Not Dangerous
I would like to address some of the statements I have found on the web and in proposed ban bills portraying servals and other small wild felines as unpredictable and dangerous creatures. This is a clear case of "what you don't know you will fear." First of all, I would like to clarify for everyone that we are talking about tame, hand-raised pets bred in the United States. It's not like you take a trip to Africa, rope yourself a serval, and drag it home hissing and spitting!
How To Stop Your Cat Scratching Your Furniture - Forever!
Your cat scratching at your furniture can not only leave you out of pocket but also very frustrated and annoyed at your cat for being such a bad little kitty. Cats need to scratch, it is something that cats instinctively do, not as you may think, in order to sharpen their claws, but to remove the old layers of their nails.
Understanding Dog Fleas: How Fleas Breed & Affect Your Dogs Health
Fleas belong to the insect order Siphonaptera. They are common pests and may attack many mammals, including man. They can be a year round problem because they infest not only pets but also the home of the owner. Because of this, treatment of the pet alone may only temporarily solve a flea infestation.
An Introduction to Dog Beds
Some people are so attached to their pets that they wouldn't dream of asking them to simply curl up on the floor to go to sleep. Pet owners, especially dog owners, have created an industry for dog beds that rivals the bedding industry for humans in both creativity and profit margins.
Universal Principles For Successful Dog Training
Dog training is not rocket science and is not as difficult as you think. It is certainly possible for ANY dog owners to train their dogs themselves provided they put in adequate amount of effort. The principles listed here are universal to dog training of any dog breeds, be it sporting, working, toy or terrier, any dogs - big or small, pup or old, any Owners - competitive or leisure.
How to Crate Train Your Puppy
One of the most difficult hurdles that any new puppy owner faces is housebreaking or as it is sometimes also referred to; potty training or doing business. Although there is no tactic that comes with a 100% guarantee, one of the most successful methods is crate training. Crate training can drastically reduce the amount of stress on the owner and the puppy that often comes with training the new four-legged member of your family.
Why Should We Get Kittens as Pets?
Kittens are and have always been adorable creatures. Of course, these youngsters are also playful, naughty and mischievous as well. Perhaps that's the reason why people are attracted to them, as they entertain us with their peculiar antics and curiosity. Cats and dogs have been found torelieve humans of stress and make great companions at home. Of course,choosing between a cat and a dog is totally a personal choice.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|