Your Pets Medicine Chest - Medications To Keep On-Hand
We all know that good food, a loving home and plenty of exercise will go a long way in giving your dog and cata happy and healthy life. But what about those times when some minor illness suddenly appears and it's 10 pm in the evening with no veterinarian available? (For those of you who have small children...you understand how this works).
Just like humans, animals can and will occasionally getsick. Considering some of the things animals get into, it'struly amazing our dogs and cats stay as healthy as they do. There are a lot of potential dangers out in that bigwide world.
"Child" Proofing Your Home For Your Pet
Pets are just like children. They are curious explorers that love to check out what's in that overflowing garbagecan or see if they really can reach the toilet bowl for a drink before someone catches them.
Here are a few guidelines to help you "pet proof" your home:
* When you use any pesticides, herbicides, antifreeze,or household cleaning products, make sure they are storedsafely away after use. Wash away any extra waste that might have spilled immediately.
* It's preferable that you don't let your cat roam theneighborhood. Some people put out rat bait and other suchpoisons in their gardens and in their garbage. Why? Well,they may have mice in the area which they want to get ridof. They may also be tired of your or someone else's catconstantly getting into their garbage or defecating in their gardens. Believe me, this is a slow, painful deathfor your pet. I learned the hard way with a much belovedcat of mine. Since then, all of my cats are indoor housecats.
* Keep your garbage can lids closed tight. Animals lovesmelly garbage to explore to find what great human tidbitsmight be in there. However, that "food" may have some toxic cleaner spilled on it. Those yummy chicken bonesare cooked...and splinter, which could cause serious intestinal problems. You get the idea.
* Be sure all electrical cords are kept covered or unpluggedwhen not in use. Although not recommended normally, if you have a small puppy or kitten, run the cords under carpets,behind cabinets or heavy furniture that they can't crawlbehind. Young pets love to chew...and wires and cords areenticing.
* If you use a toilet bowl cleaner that stays in toilet to"clean" with each flush keep the lid down. Animals, especiallydogs, love to drink from the toilet for some bizarre
reason that only they understand. The chemicals in the cleaner can poison and/or kill.
Stocking The Medicine Cabinet
So, what to do when your dog or cat gets sick with a minortummy ache, diarrhea, or some minor infection, including itchyskin? Stock your medicine cabinet with certain human medications that are perfectly fine to give to your petsin the proper dosage. However, you should always consult yourveterinarian if possible before administering any typeof medication, including dosage amounts of each for each ofyour animals. Keep a list handy near the cabinet for quickreference on dosages.
Here are some items you should keep on hand:
* Buffered Aspirin is good for lowering fever and relievingminor aches and pains in dogs. Most people prefer to usebaby aspirin. Use approximately 80 mg per every 10 poundsof weight, usually no more than twice a day. NEVER giveaspirin to a cat as it's extremely dangerous to them. Also,do not use Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen, as they are alsodangerous to pets in general. Stick with the aspirin.
* Keopectate is good for soothing stomach troubles anddiarrhea in both dogs and cats. A recommended amount wouldbe 1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of weight roughly every 4 hours.
* Gravol for motion sickness if you need to travel withyour pet. Administer the tablet one hour before you leave.You should give no more than 12.5 mg to a cat or a smalldog. A medium to large dog can handle between 25 to 50 mg.Do not give this to any animal that has bladder problems orglaucoma. Again, check with your vet to be sure if it's safeand what dosage is recommended for your pet.
* Pepto-Bismol, that good old pink stuff, is fine to give toyour dog if they are having tummy trouble, such as vomiting or a rolling, noisy belly. One teaspoon every 6 hours per pound of body weight should be sufficient. This is another medicinal product that should not be given to cats.
* Hydrogen Peroxide and Polysporin for minor cuts and scratches. These will help clean out the wound and hopefullyprevent any infection from occurring.
All in all, checking up with your vet and keeping some specific medications on hand should help you deal with any minor illnesses you may encounter with your dog andcat.
Goldfish Tips - Keeping The Aquarium Clean
You do clean your house don't you? Well you have to clean your Goldfish's house too and it's a lot simpler! Cleaning and maintaining a goldfish tank is a must because this breed is really dirty. Even a teenager's room would be better than a goldfish tank that's left alone for a week! The Goldfish are descendants of the scavenger Carp fish and that makes them scavengers too. They will eat a lot, which means that they will produce a lot of fish waste that will degrade the quality of the water. More than a complete overhaul of the tank, you will need to give frequent weekly cleanings.
Boston Terrier - The Costs Of Owning A Boston Terrier
Having a dog is a little like having a baby. Before you rush out to the nearest breeder or shelter you must consider the costs of ensuring that your new pet remains contented and happy with his home life.
Your Dogs Health Is At Risk!
Dogs should be living to age 20 or more. That's their natural lifespan. But it's being cut short by chemical toxicity in their environment and in commercial petfood, which is fed (to a greater or lesser extent) to over 90 per cent of pets in modern society.
Online: The Fastest, Cheapest, Easiest Way to Buy and Sell a Horse
Selling a Horse
How To Avoid Bad Doggy Behavior, And Teach Your Puppy Some Manners
A poorly trained dog can embarrass its owner and offend other people - or even make them feel threatened.
The Right Way to Use Electronic Dog Training Collars
As with every training tool used to modify a behavior in your pet, electronic dog training collars need to be used correctly in order to be effective.
So are you ready for a Boxer Dog?...
An easier and more pleasant journey with your chosen Boxer starts with checking out the parent dogs for unbecoming traits like aggression, hyperactive and extreme shyness.
How to Train Your Puppy to Sit
Bringing home a new puppy, ushers in a wave of joy and excitement in the old and young alike. The innocent eyes and cute antics of this new member of the family immediately starts attracting a lot of love and affection from all quarters. You harbor great hopes for this little creature and eagerly wait for the day when she can make you proud by doing your bidding. Even her chewing up some of your favorite things is ignored in the hope that she will eventually grow out of it. But, hold on, even before you dream of making your puppy as obedient as a circus dog, there are things to teach and they require effort.
Dogs Are Mans Best Friend
Dogs are believed to be descendants of wild wolves. They were the first wild animal to be tamed. Ancient man probably brought home cub wolves to raise as pets. The pet wolves were also useful in driving away bears and other wild animals. One of the oldest known breed of dogs is the Salukis, which were bred by Egyptians thousands of years ago as hunting dogs. Greyhounds and Dalmatians are also among the oldest breeds documented.
Acclimating New Birds
Now that my services have expanded into the "matchmaking" business, it dawned on me that we need to talk about the transition of a bird moving to a new home, whether a hand fed baby just adopted to a new home or an older bird going to a second home. This is a stressful time for any bird, but you can help lessen the strife and make the move easier for both your new bird and the rest of the family.
How to Increase Your Fishkeeping Fun
Do you really get the fullest amount of enjoyment out of your fish?, or is it hampered by little worries and anxieties?
Whos Pulling On The Leash, You Or Your Dog?
Hopefully no one is pulling the leash. The ideal situation is that you and your dog are equally enjoying the walk and neither is pulling and tugging the other in any certain direction.
Symptoms of Pain and Illness in Dogs
Dog owners, who recognize the early signs and symptoms of illness or pain in their dogs, will not only relieve their loved one's suffering but may also be able to save themselves an expensive trip to the veterinarian. Not only is it important to recognize these signs early to relieve pain and suffering, but it is much more effective to treat an illness when it is detected early.
Pets: The Wild Kind
Just because we moved out to the country a couple years back does NOT mean we want to run a farm. Tending to animals is just not how we want to spend our time. We don't want cows or sheep or chickens. We don't want hogs or ducks. We don't even want a dog or a cat to train.
Choose an Acrylic Bird Cage
Congratulations. You've decided to buy a bird, and you even know what kind. You've gone so far as to pick out a name for your new feathered friend. The hard part is over, right? Wrong. You still have to find a cage for little Polly. You will be amazed by the number of bird cages to choose from. Bird cages are available in many different sizes, styles, and price ranges. They come in a variety of materials, such as wood, iron, metal, and stainless steel.
Buyer Beware: Purebred Dog Myths
Every month I am approached by dog owners of my breed who complain about how poorly behaved, how sickly, how untrainable, and generally my breed is and how deeply they resented spending money on this breed. I listen patiently, but time taught me not to defend 'good' breeders, or explain to the angry owners how their own ignorance cuased them to become victimized.
Help! Ive Got a Pregnant Cat!
So, you've got yourself a pregnant cat.
Cats And Litter Box Problems
If your cat has recently decided not to use the litter box, this can create a lot of stress for both of you. This frequently happens, and often there is a simple fix for the problem.
Five Powerful Reasons Why Owning A Pet Could Make You Live Longer
You may have heard that pets have been scientifically proven to increase your chances of living to a ripe old age. Well the rumour is true, but how exactly is it possible you may be wondering.
Beds for Smaller Dogs
All puppies are small dogs ? some, however, won't be small for very long. You have to know how big your dog is going to be when it is fully grown before you can buy it a bed of its own, unless, that is, you don't mind buying your beloved canine friend a new bed every six months or so for several years.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|