How to Build a Dog House for Your Puppy
So you'd like to know how to build a dog house? Well, that means we're talking to less than 50% of all dog owners. Why? Because current survey information at OpinionTrone says most dog owners (over 50%) allow their pets on the family couch. Furthermore, if you allow your pet on the couch, chances are that you do not HAVE a dog house!
But for those of you who do, there are really good things to remember about how to build a dog house:
1. Any good how to build a dog house plan should begin by making sure the house is big enough to accommodate your dog's ultimate grown-up size. You would not like to live in a house whose ceiling was below your head height--neither would your dog. Most humans like about 2 feet of air above themselves in a room in order to live without feelings of claustrophobia! That comfort zone is about 1/3 of their standing height. Allow your pet the same airiness. Figure out how tall it will stand as a mature pet and make sure the ceiling of the dog house is 1/3 again taller!
2. Raise the house a few inches off the ground to allow air and water to flow beneath. Ventilation is important for the health of your dog and to dissuade pests from invading its home. A few nickel-sized holes in the walls under the eaves should be sufficient. Install a wind block inside the house so the dog can use the heat of its own body to warm up the area if it is really cold and windy outside. Any good plan for how to build a dog house will have a house big enough so that a partial wall will allow the dog to escape the elements. The dog can choose whether to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Both areas could have bedding or a pillow, such as one filled with cedar chips to discourage fleas.
3. Make the floor just the littlest bit slanted toward the doorway. Any good "how to build a dog house" plan will make certain that any rain that does enter via the ventilation holes or doorway automatically drains out. Make sure that the roof is built at a slant, as well, for obvious run-off reasons. Do not paint the inside of the house, but do make sure that the house is well insulated.
4. Make sure the dog house faces away from the major storm direction. In the U.S., most storms come from the south and west. Not all, mind you, but most! So most how to build a dog house plans will suggest that the ideal placement of a dog house door is to the east. That way, even in the wintertime, the cold north wind will not whip inclement weather into the dog's entryway.
5. Finally, almost all how to build a dog house plans will have you put hinges on the roof of the house for easy cleaning. When you clean the dog, you should clean its house and bedding--just as faithfully as you would wish your pet to be to you!
About The Author
Description: Stephanie is a dog lover and the editor of the Cute Puppy Dog Newsletter. You can subscribe at http://www.cutepuppydog.com/cutepuppydognewsletter.html (every subscribers get 20 exclusive puppy pics, 2 dog screensavers and 3 dog ebooks).
What Rabbit Noises Mean
Crate Training Your Puppy
Teaching your puppy crate training is the first and best step in his life. It makes all the other steps in his training go so much smoother, much like a solid foundation makes for a superior wall. Establishing you as the Alpha member of his "pack" is one very good reason for starting your puppy in a crate when he is very young.
Starting a Home-Based Pet Related Business
If you're contemplating the idea of starting a home-based business here are some facts you should know:
A Healthy Cat Knows What Tastes Good...
As all cat owners know, a feline can be a wonderful addition to any family. One of the most basic aspects of cat ownership is proper health care for the cat. Health care for a cat encompasses a wide array of vaccine shots, flea protection, vet visits, medications, and even proper exercise.
Are Exotic Cats a Threat to Public Safety? Why Exotic Pets Are Not Dangerous
I would like to address some of the statements I have found on the web and in proposed ban bills portraying servals and other small wild felines as unpredictable and dangerous creatures. This is a clear case of "what you don't know you will fear." First of all, I would like to clarify for everyone that we are talking about tame, hand-raised pets bred in the United States. It's not like you take a trip to Africa, rope yourself a serval, and drag it home hissing and spitting!
Pet Vitamin Supplements - Whether You Need One and How to Choose One
Vitamins Can Increase Your Dog's Life Span!
How To Know What Your Cat Wants When It Talks To You - Cat Communication Explained
Many people think cats are asocial, but in fact they are very social animals. They bond with other cats in their house or neighborhood, their owners, even other pets like dogs and birds. They communicate to each other and us a variety of ways.
Buying a Custom Bird Cage
Many of us dream of having a beautiful, exotic bird perched on our shoulder, accompanying us around town. At the end of the day, though, our feathered friend must return to its cage. A bird cage has two main jobs-keeping a bird safe and keeping it comfortable. Sometimes the best way to do that is to buy a custom bird cage. Custom bird cages are built to your specifications and are designed to suit both your home and your bird.
Tips on Easy House Breaking Your Puppy
If you are lucky enough to get a 7-week-old puppy, there is no excuse for any bad habits to develop over his lifetime. Puppies learn INSTANTLY when they are that young, and if you use the proper training methods, gentle but consistent, he will behave like an angel his whole life through.
Shut The Door Buddy: Simple Dog Tricks To Teach and Impress
The shutting and opening door trick can be taught to all dog breeds. The only consideration maybe would be asking small size dogs to close large or heavy doors which are beyond their physical capabilities.
Electric Dog Fences: Keep You Pet in the Yard and Out of Places You Dont Want Them to Be
Electric Dog Fences
The Power of Dogs
Well first of all I was always a cat owner, till my husband bought our first Chihuahua (Stitch) in 2002, Stitch was about 6 weeks old and was generally purchased for our children and it stud that was till he was about 5 months or so. Then I started to notice that he was starting to favor me and follow me around more and more everyday, one day I hid from him and watched him run up and down the hallway from the crack in the bedroom door, until he found me and it just melted my heart, my cats never did that and after that he became ALL MINE Stitch stole my heart. Around a month later my mother handed down her old sewing machine to me, I tried making everything that came to mind but nothing ever turned out perfect, but I kept sewing anyways.
Dont Let Ticks Ruin Your Dogs Good Time!
Nobody likes ticks.
Your Pets Medicine Chest - Medications To Keep On-Hand
We all know that good food, a loving home and plenty of exercise will go a long way in giving your dog and cata happy and healthy life. But what about those times when some minor illness suddenly appears and it's 10 pm in the evening with no veterinarian available? (For those of you who have small children...you understand how this works).
Why Crate Train My Dog?
A few years ago, before I decided to stay home with my kids, I worked as a veterinarian technician in an animal hospital. While at that job I saw so many clients who would bring in their dog and be upset because they had eaten something in the house, other than food, and were now sick. One client brought in her chocolate lab that had gotten into her sewing box and eaten a pincushion, pins and all!!! Off to surgery the dog went and the owner was out about $1,500. Case number two was a giant poodle that, while the owner was away, got into her closet and ate a pair of panty hose. Unfortunately this dog did not make it through surgery. The pantyhose got wrapped around its intestines and the doctor was not able to save the dog.
A Dog Day Care Business Can Be A Lot of Fun!
If you love dogs and you enjoy making money then a dog day care business may be a very good fit for you!
Teaching Your Dog to Heel
Teaching your dog to heel is one of the most basic and important dog training commands you can teach. With an active and younger dog or puppy, it can be especially difficult, but with patience and consistency, it doesn't really have to be that hard to train your dog to heel.
How I Get More Training Done On My Horses In 1/2 The Time
Here's a simple way... to help your horse learn twiceas fast.
Pet Tracking Devices
It was the Saturday morning of August 20, 2004 and my two kids saying that they couldn't find our cat Nala anywhere waked me up. I didn't pay much attention, because it was common for her to find a new hiding spot and sleep there for hours.
Dog Grooming and Dog Care
Dog grooming is relatively simple for most dogs. I have a greyhound and spend about 5 minutes per day on dog grooming. For dogs that have short hair, they need to be brushed, maybe once per week. For dogs with long hair, the grooming is more time consuming. This is an important consideration when selecting a breed. Beyond regularly brushing your dog's coat and giving him or her periodic baths, you may want to consider a few other things.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|