Exercise Motivation: 7 Sure-fire Tips
So you've begun an exercise program to get in shape and loose weight. Congratulations! You've taken a big step towards making big improvements in your life. However, you may be faced with the challenge of waning enthusiasm for your exercise program after the initial thrill of starting something new wears off. Don't despair! Here are 7 sure-fire tips to keep your exercise flame alive!
1. Make exercising a habit ? just like brushing your teeth or eating lunch every day, make your exercise routine an essential part of your life. You may not exercise everyday, but if you train say, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then make these sessions an unbreakable appointment on your calendar. After all, it's no accident that it's referred to as an exercise "routine".
2. Get a workout partner ? having someone to train with can keep you on track with your exercise program. It's a bit harder to back out of an exercise session because you just don't feel like it when you know someone is waiting for you.
3. Add a soundtrack to your workouts ? invest in a portable radio, CD or MP3 player. Adding music to your workouts can add interest and motivation while your train. Up-tempo music works best, but any kind of music that inspires you is great workout music.
4. Reward yourself ? some people need a little bribe to do things they are not ordinarily inclined to do. That's OK, though; we all could use a small treat now and then! Try rewarding yourself with a warm bath after your workout or by watching your favorite TV show. Just be careful with rewards of the edible type ? you don't want to sabotage your efforts!
5. View your workouts as a break from work ? if you workout during your working day you can look forward to your workout as a break from your desk. A change of scenery and moving around after sitting for long periods is just what the doctor ordered! You will also feel rejuvenated when you return to your desk.
6. Fantasize ? when doing cardio exercises, like on an elliptical trainer or treadmill, you can role-play in your mind. Imagine yourself running the Marathon in the Olympics or cross-country skiing through snow-covered woods. It's your fantasy, so go wild!
7. Don't ever forget why you workout! ? This is probably the most effective technique for workout motivation. You no doubt started your exercise program in the first place to loose weight, get in shape, or become healthier. Don't loose sight of this reason! Remember it whenever you find yourself tempted to blow off a workout with a weak excuse.
And remember, success breeds even more success. Once you start seeing your waistline slimming down or your stamina increasing you will find yourself even more motivated to jump into your workouts!
6 Things A Norwegian Fable Teaches Us About Healthy Perseverance Part 1
Author, H. Besser, in his book, "Perseverance:How To Develop It," shares a Norwegian fable about a man who left his hometown to rejoinhis fiancée. They were to get married when he arrived.
Exercising for life ? The magic is in the synergy!
Synergy: the working together of two or more things, people,or organizations, especially when the result is greater thanthe sum of their individual effects or capabilities
Physical Activity Versus Exercise: Is there a Difference?
Quite often a client will come into the gym discouraged with their exercise program. The common complaint being lack of results. They give a list of activities they are doing but still do not see any changes in physical appearance. Yes this can be attributed to many variables but one of the key elements to consider is intensity.
Fitness Focus: Overcoming Obstacles
If you're like me, the quest to be in shape, manage weight and overall well-being, at times, feels overwhelming. And, as if the quest to be fit isn't hard enough, there's often other obstacles to overcome: health issues, time management, mustering up courage or energy. Even if you've been exercising for a long time, there's always new barriers to be broken. So, how to put all of this into perspective? According to Tom Turner, executive liaison for the Spina Bifida Association that's exactly it: Perspective. And also, according to him, there's no mountain too high to climb. Tom would know. Paralyzed from the waist down since birth he's now 33 and trains about three times a week. In fact, he tells me, he just couldn't get along without exercise.
The New Discovery That Makes It Possible To Get An Effective Workout In Less Time
The Art of Multifunctional Training
The New Lover Approach to Starting an Exercise Program
Approach a New Exercise Program Like a New Lover
How to Supercharge Your Energy Levels through Exercise
Your energy levels will depend on several factors, including genetics, nutrition, sleep habits, and emotional stress. Some of these you have no control over But there is one VERY important factor that you do have control over and that is your ability to take part in physical exercise.
Strategies for Alleviating the Boredom Associated with Exercise
Just about every expert in the ADD field will tell you that exercise is one of the best ADD management strategies there is. According to the book Delivered from Distraction:
Mom, How F.I.T.T. Is Your Workout?
Moms don't have the time or desire to mess around with complicated workouts that don't get results. If you want real Mommy Muscle you need a plan that's based on principles not infomercials and advertising.
Doing vs. Performing: The Difference Between Exercising and Getting Results
Back when I was young and living on my parents' farm, there always seemed to be plenty of tasks that were reserved for the low man on the totem pole. And you guessed it. That low man was me. Picking up and piling sticks seemed to be one of my dad's favorite tasks for me, and quite frankly, it was one of my least desired jobs to do. Funny how that works. Anyway, every time my dad would tell me to go out and complete one of these undesirable tasks, I would respond with the requisite whining, complaining, and carrying-on that usually comes from a young person who is having to do something he/she doesn't want to do. Nonetheless, I would slump off and begin my task, usually in a half-assed manner. Then I would rush in and tell my dad I had completed my task. He would go out, check it, and 9 times out of 10, he would make me go back and redo, complete, or what-have-you some of aspect of my job. He would always tell me, "It is much easier to do it right the first time." This is a lesson that did not sink in until some years later. Now, however, I fully embrace my father's philosophy, in part, because on a daily basis I see the same issues/attitudes I had as a young person showing up in how people approach their exercise programs.
Performing Potentially Dangerous Gym Exercises
How do you know that the exercises you are performing are safe? Found below are some potentially dangerous exercises with suggestions on how they should be done correctly or avoided completely.
The Importance of The Fibonacci Numbers in Fitness Training
"Things do not change; we change." ?Henry David Thoreau
Arthritis Exercise ? One Way to Relieve Pain & Stiffness in Your Joints (part 1)
Exercise can be very beneficial for arthritis sufferers, often relieving stiffness in joints, strengthening muscles thereby reducing stress on joints, keeping bone and cartilage tissue strong and healthy, and increasing flexibility. A recommended 30-minute minimum of daily activity is the norm. Before starting any exercise program, it is vital that one speak to their doctor to ensure there are no unseen risks, however you will find that most doctors recommend exercise for their arthritis patients either on their own initiative or when asked.
Is Exercise Making You Feel Worse?
I'm sure you've heard the following statement over and overagain: exercise can help you to beat stress, or alleviateanxiety or boost a depressed mind. This is only true inpart. Because many exercises can actually worsen theseillnesses. And even if you perform exercises that can help,these exercises will only help temporarily.
5 Essential Walking Exercise Tips
Walking exercise is one of the easiest ways to get in shape and burn fat. In fact, mile for mile, you can burn as many calories walking as you would jogging. It's also one of the best stress relieving exercises that anyone can do, regardless of fitness level.
Optimize Your Exercise: Maximizing the Time Spent Working Out
Diet and Exercise are the inseparable twins that are seen and heard everywhere weight loss and fat loss are mentioned. This article will focus on techniques and tips that will help you to maximize the time you spend exercising.
The Truth about Spot Reduction
At any point, we can pick up the latest fitness magazine or see a television ad for the newest "abdominal reducer" exercise. These gimmicks are feeding on society's obsession with a "six pack" and everyone is searching for the answer to lose those love handles.
Home Gym Workout Routines
Home gym workout routines can take the hassle out of staying healthy. How often have you claimed your busy schedule as the reason you could not get to the gym? How many times have you skipped a workout you knew would make you feel better because the fatigue of traffic and the pace of a gym with trainers were too much for your work weary mind?
Tone Up While at Work
I know better than anybody that sitting at a desk all day can take a toll on your body. You don't get much movement and you can get what I like to call "spread butt"
The Power Workout:
Scenario: I really want to get in shape, but I work all day and attend multimedia classes until 8:30. How do I find the time to exercise, and what are a few good exercises for beginners like me? Solution: Finding time to exercise is certainly a challenge. Even the most motivated among us suffer setbacks during our business's busy season or when a new project is on the horizon. The key to fitting fitness into your busy day is to recognize that finding time isn't the issue--it's making time.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|