Benefits of Making Your Own Homemade Baby Food
Making your own homemade baby food will ensure that what your child is eating is fresh, nutritious and free of additives. By making your own baby food, you'll be saving money. Also, you will have total control over what is put into your baby's food. You can therefore take the extra steps to ensure that only high quality foods are selected and used. You will be able to feed your baby according to his or her needs because you will know what foods are best suited for your baby from experience.
Making your own baby food also ensures that your baby is exposed to a greater variety of tastes and textures. This will help your baby when making the transition to table foods and also help him or her develop healthy eating habits. See http://www.baby-shop.org.uk/guide/ for a collection of articles on babies and toddlers.
Baby Food Preparation Tips
1. As babies are susceptible to digestive upsets, always work with clean hands and use clean cooking utensils, preparation surfaces, pots and pans etc., when making home made baby food. Prepare foods immediately upon removing them from the refrigerator and freeze immediately after cooking any foods you want to store.
2. Steaming vegetables is the best method of preparation. This softens them, makes them easier to chew, and preserves more of the vitamins and minerals than boiling. A steamer basket is cheap and by cooking fruits and vegetables in it, you'll be sure of keeping the nutrients in the food, instead of in the cooking water.
3. To puree your foods, you can use a fork, a food mill or blender. A blender quickly purees almost anything into the finest consistency. When your baby first starts on solids, you'll be pureeing things to a very fine consistency and, as baby gets a little older, you will make foods a little coarser. You may wish to buy a food mill which comes in large and small sizes. It is very handy and inexpensive. The food mill strains most cooked foods to a very smooth consistency, although meats can be a problem as they will have a coarser texture. Remember all the tools you need to make baby food are probably already in your kitchen.
4. You can prepare large amounts of foods at once and freeze them. Take your prepared foods and plop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Freeze the plops right away and then take them off the sheet when they are frozen and put them into plastic bags. You can also freeze the food in plastic "pop out" ice cube trays. Small tupperware jars with lids serve the same purpose and stack easily. Label and date the packages rotate them putting the most recently frozen foods behind the previously frozen ones. Frozen baby foods can be stored for up to two months.
5. When you take frozen foods out for baby, warm the food in a cup placed in a saucepan of boiling water with a lid on. If you use a microwave to thaw or warm baby food, be sure to stir the food well to avoid hot pockets.
6. Cereals are typically the first foods given to a baby because they contain lots of iron. You can prepare your own, by running oatmeal through your blender. Fruits are generally given next. Except for raw, mashed banana, you will need to cook all other fruits till they are soft.
7. Try making your own apple sauce and pear sauce; don't add any sugar, as these fruits are sweet enough on their own. You can also peel peaches, plums and apricots and boil or steam them.
8. Buy and use organic fruits and vegetables. Use fresh and organic vegetables whenever possible in order to provide the best nutrition and flavor for your baby. Your baby deserves pesticide-free foods. Frozen vegetables are better to use than canned.
9. Yogurt, mashed cottage cheese, mashed pumpkin, baked potato, avocado and tofu (oriental soy bean curd) are all popular with babies. One good idea is to blend together cottage cheese, banana and fresh orange juice - delicious!
10. Meats should be added slowly. They can be boiled or broiled, then put in the blender with a little milk and perhaps banana or cream of rice to get the right consistency. Chicken is generally the first meat baby is introduced to and usually goes down fairly well.
11. There is no rush to start your baby on solid foods. Milk is his most important food. Your doctor's recommendations and your own intuition will help you to know when to begin introducing solids to your baby's diet. Introducing solids prepares the baby for the transition to adult food and offers further vitamins and minerals as the baby grows. Always remember to be patient with your baby and allow at least a few days between newly added foods to make sure the baby doesn't suffer any reactions.
Copyright © 2005, Bridget Mwape writes for the Baby Shop UK: http://www.baby-shop.org.uk/ which features baby information including articles and discounts on baby products, gifts and advice from other parents.
This article may be republished as long as all the above links are active and clickable and this author box (byline) is not edited.
Advantages Of A Sheepskin Underlay For Babies
Sheepskin offers unique advantages as an underlay for babies. One of the advantages of a sheepskin underlay for babies is portability. Sheepskin is lightweight and easily rolled up, which means that you can always keep a sheepskin underlay at hand to provide a sanitary layer beneath your baby.
Potty Training in One Day - Can You Really Potty Train in a Day? What Does It Mean?
Sounds great ? doesn't it?
Baby Shower Checklist-Hostess
Using baby shower checklist-hostess are the best way to stay organized if you are planning a baby shower. The more organized you are the better the shower will be. You also want to make things as stress free for yourself as possible so that you don't come across as the frazzled hostess.
Make Your Own Baby Food
Those little containers of baby food sure are expensive once you start totaling up how much you use in a day. And now you are probably wondering how you could possibly save money on baby food (besides those $.25 coupons). Well, you can't save money on those little containers, but you can on baby food itself. How? Make it yourself! It's really not as hard as you think. Do a search on the internet for "homemade baby food" and you'll find tons of recipes on how to make just about anything perfect for your little one.
Babies Bring Love, Joy, and Opinions
The old saying "babies aren't born with instruction manuals" has opened the door for unwanted advice from family and friends, alike. If you're a mother, specifically a "new" mother, at first you may appreciate the guidance of those that went before you. But eventually even the most patient of women will break. You will most likely become a hermit, hiding the car in the garage, locking the doors, turning the ringer off and avoiding anyone that perceives themselves as an "expert" on the subject of motherhood and newborns. So before you become a recluse and start avoiding all human contact; here's some more advice on "unwanted" advice.
10 Ways to Make Toilet Training Fun & Exciting
Blue & Yellow Make Green - Put a few drops of blue food coloring in the toilet and show your child that the color turns green when he or she pees!
Baby Shower Gift for Dads
Gift for Dads:The mom is always on the limelight when she is pregnant. Poor Dad! He is also excited as mom. It is his proudest moment too. After all it is his son or daughter too.. It would be nice to invite dad to the shower. If it is a ladies only shower, you could still get the proud Dad-to-be a gift. In this piece you will see some of the suggestions which could go as gifts for Dad.
Honor Grandma with a Baby Shower for Grandma
Throwing a baby shower for grandma could be a great way to commemorate the excitement of becoming a grandmother for the first time. There's nothing like spoiling the little cuties for a day and then sending them home to their parents!
Baby Shower Gift Ideas
A few guests can get together and get a big laundry basket. Place in it a long clothes line with outfits, diapers, bibs, etc. pinned to it. It can also be used as a room decoration. It has a bit of everything and something to carry it in!
Family Life or How to Buy Chair for a New Baby
Even if your baby is just weeks old now, you'll soon see how amazingly quickly she develops.
Oh Baby! Choosing the Right Baby Name
Naming a baby is no easy task. However, the following tips will help you give your baby his or her very first gift.
Helping Your Baby Develop Character
How Can We Help Children Learn about Character?
Intersting Baby Facts - Strange But True!
* A baby is born every seven seconds.
Mobiles For Babies Can Prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Mobiles are well known for its effectiveness in capturing and keeping baby's attention. Colorful and moving mobiles will stimulate the baby's brain and encourages him to explore the things around him. Mobiles with lullaby tunes are even better. With mobiles, you can stop worrying about an uncooperative baby when changing diapers or a wailing baby before he goes to sleep.
Colic Baby Bootcamp - Parent Survival Tips
Surviving a baby with colic truly deserves an award of some sort. The relentless screaming can really drive you to the edge.
Introducing Your New Baby to Your Pet
Having a child is a life altering event for you and your family. If you own a pet and are concerned about how your pet will respond to the bringing home of a little bundle of joy, then you are not alone. Hundreds of thousands of new families each year have to deal with how their pet might respond to the new baby. If you have a small child or are expecting in the near future you may have many questions such as, what if my pet gets jealous, what if he or she bites the baby, how do I get my pet used to the new baby, and vice versa?
5 Best Free Child Games for Your Preschooler
There seems to be more and more pressure on parents these days to enrol their pre school children in all sorts of innovative learning programs. There are music and swimming classes, craft centres and activities to promote movement, motor skills or sporting ability.
Wooden High Chairs Offer Simplicity, Beauty, and Practicality for Todays Busy Families
Wooden high chairs with their looks and functionality make a great addition to any kitchen or dining room, no more plastic, teddy bears or bright colors, so no more hiding your high chair.
How to Make Your Own Baby Food and Save a Fortune!
Baby in a highchair, mom in front with a small spoon and a jar of baby food. It looks like something right out of a parenting magazine, and it's a scene that is played out several times a day in the majority of homes with small babies. Unfortunately, it's also a powerful marketing image that can cost a family a great deal of money in the long run.
Some parents have the shock of hearing their young child start stammering as a toddler. I am somebody who runs a speech centre in Birmingham, England, I now help people to achieve fluency.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|