Oh Baby! Choosing the Right Baby Name
Naming a baby is no easy task. However, the following tips will help you give your baby his or her very first gift.
1. Religion. For some parents, religion plays a major role in choosing a baby name. Roman Catholics traditionally choose saints names. Jews traditionally choose Old Testament names. Names of deceased relatives are often chosen. Protestants often choose both Old and New Testament names.
Interesting Fact! : The majority of the people in the Western hemisphere have names from the Bible. The New Testament is a more popular source of names than the Old Testament.
2. Number of Names. You have many options when it comes to the number of names you choose for your baby. It is very common for a baby to be given three names, however, this is not mandatory. You may choose a first and last name; a first and last name and only a middle initial; initials for both first and middle names; or several middle names. Keep in mind, though, that several middle names will cause space problems for your child any time he or she fills out a form.
3. Sounds. Names are easy or hard to say depending upon the combination of letters used. A name such as Harry Berry invites potential teasing. Try this to create a nice effect: choose a first name that has the same amount of syllables as the last name. Whoopi Goldberg is a good example.
Interesting Fact! : Whoopi Goldbergâ??s original name is Caryn Johnson.
4. Pronunciation. Nobody likes to have their name mis-pronounced. This is an important factor to keep in mind with unique names.
5. Popularity. Choosing a popular name increases the likelihood that there will be other children in your childâ??s school with the same name. This may make him or her not feel as unique. However, a child with a popular name may be perceived better by peers than a child with a unique name.
6. Stereotypes. Many names create a positive or negative image. A name is often a personâ??s first introduction to others. Therefore, you must make careful considerations when choosing a name to fit your new baby.
7. Initials. Initials of a personâ??s name often spell words. If you choose to take this route, be sure that it will be a word you son or daughter will be happy with.
8. Meanings. Almost every name has a meaning. However, most people donâ??t know the meaning of their names. This may help in deciding between some of your favorite baby name choices.
9. Family History. Family History often comes into play when naming a baby. If you have to use a family name that you aren't happy with, consider using it as a middle name.
10. Celebrity Names. A common source of today's baby names comes from the names of celebrities and from the names that celebrities choose for their children. Characters from TV and movies are another popular source.
11. Make sure that the name you choose is one that your child will be able to grow with. Keep in mind that it should be applicable for all ages. Many names come with stereotypes.
12. It is important for both parents to compromise when selecting a name for your baby. However, keep in mind that you can always use two names, using one as a middle name.
Good Luck! A new baby is one of the most rewarding experiences of a lifetime.
Alli Ross is the webmaster at the Baby Names Box - Where you can explore over 6,000 baby names and their meanings. Sub-categories include Disney ,J.R. Tolkien names, Fantasy and Folklore names, and many names from the literary classics. Read articles ranging from parenting and family to home and gardening. Be sure to say hi to GranMamma!
Baby Shower Game Distraction
The best baby games for baby showers to entertain all of your guests and let the mother-to-be benefit from the experience of others. Your baby shower then will become more than a party. It's an entertaining learning experience.
Baby Shower Themes For Your Special Baby Shower
Do you want to provide a baby shower that is great fun for guests, inviting and welcoming and also really relaxing for the mom-to-be? Read on about selecting and delivering a baby shower theme with confidence.
Baby Names - Unique or Common?
When it comes to naming their baby, people tend to fall into two broad categories: those who want a unique name for their child and those who feel fine selecting a common name. Naturally, there are pros and cons to both choices. Let's first look at unique names.
The First Week with Your Baby
The first week of your baby's life brings big adjustments for both of you. You are adjusting to being a mother and caring for your baby and your baby is adjusting to life outside the womb. It is a time of great joy -- and possibly immense fear! Although you've been preparing for the birth of your baby for months, now he is here and depending on you for everything which can seem overwhelming. Don't expect too much of yourself during these first days! If anyone offers you help -- take it!
Family Baby Showers
The addition of baby number 2, 3, or 10 is an occasion to celebrate for any family.
Five Easy Steps to Potty Train Your Baby
No?Don't let your child pee or poop every where and make your life miserable. Try to potty training your child since baby. Starting since newborn is not a bad idea. Some mom say the sooner you potty train your baby the better you find the result. Thus, parents who will let nature take it course will find that it will take a very long time for their child to be dry at night.
Top 3 Must Have Books for Your Baby or Toddler
Reading is one of the most important things you will do with your baby or toddler. Make reading to your baby or toddler a part of your daily routine whether it be in the afternoon before naptime or during late evening before bedtime.
What Should You Consider When Choosing Baby Clothes
Are you expecting a baby? You might be tempted to buy baby's clothes, although you know most of the time baby will always sleeping and crying during their first months, which obviously don't need fancy clothes to wear. But still you find dressing your baby with cute outfit will be an unforgotten moment.
Potty Training Your Child: The Five Potty Training Methods
There are many different ways to potty train your toddler. At last count, I had found 35 different books for parents on potty training and I own most of those books. Based on my research and understanding, I break HOW to potty train down into the following five methods:
Does The Size Of Your Baby Matter?
Does size matter? No, not that! Is your baby too fat, too thin, is she eating too much or not enough? Not only have you got your weight to worry about, now there's two of you!
A Special Formula for Baby!
Choosing to breastfeed the baby is one of the most important decisions a mother can make. Usually that decision was made even before the baby was conceived. There may be times when lack of support, knowledge and different priorities have led to bottle feeding. My goal is not to tell a new mother all the scary stuff in formula, but to discuss the reasons why a mother may be choosing not to breastfeed. Possibly, with discussing these reasons she may realize the benefits of breastfeeding and seek out the necessary support and education for the sake of her health and most importantly the infant's.
Baby Eating Habits ? Which Approach Do You Take
One of the first decisions we make is if we breast feed or bottle feed our baby. This will be an emotional topic which ever option you choose. Nutrition is not just about preparing and serving food its much more complex and our own childhood experiences will have a great influence on this. Most parents will feel that the more their child eats the better. They feel that this is a reflection on their parenting and the more the child eats the more successful the parent. A child whose diet consists of dry cereal and juice will leave their parent feeling frustrated and embaressed, these emotions will not go unnoticed by the child and will have a knock on effect. In the case of a faddy eater this may cause the situation to get worse.
Showered with Mom-to-Be Merriment
Your friend's having a baby. What an exciting time for her! You, the best buddy, have a little work ahead, however. You need to gather together her friends and family for a baby shower. You need to determine who to invite, pick out some great invitations, choose the location, the date and time, the decorations, refreshments and, of course, determine what you're going to do for fun while celebrating the birth of your buds first wee one.
A Must Have, Do-It-Yourself Resource For ALL Preschooler Parents
There is something so amazing and joyous about watching a little kid as they learn something new. There's a sparkle in their eye and an unashamed pride in their step. And suddenly, you're wearing a goofy grin on your face and taking credit for his genetic make-up. Fortunately for us (and them) it's a little bit addictive, but every time you turn around, they've found yet another way to impress us.
Baby Proof Your Home - Frequently Asked Questions
Keeping your baby safe at all times is one of your greatest concerns and responsibilities. There is so much to consider and it is very easy to overlook something that might be fairly obvious to some but escape others. Things like covering electrical outlets, putting up baby gates and turning pot handles to the rear of the stove are discussed in this article and is presented in a question and answer format.
The Best Way To Give Medicine To A Baby
So you carefully fill a spoon with medicine for baby, move it near her mouth and the mouth doesn't open! Maybe it's the smell, but there's no way she is going to open her mouth. Frustrating isn't it. Where can you rest the spoon without spilling the contents! You haven't got a hand free to try to open baby's mouth. There's only one winner in that battle, and it's not you!
Mobiles For Babies Can Prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Mobiles are well known for its effectiveness in capturing and keeping baby's attention. Colorful and moving mobiles will stimulate the baby's brain and encourages him to explore the things around him. Mobiles with lullaby tunes are even better. With mobiles, you can stop worrying about an uncooperative baby when changing diapers or a wailing baby before he goes to sleep.
It's finally time. My child is old enough to be drinking from a cup; a sippy, if not an open-mouthed one. I reason that we've been making the switch for some time-after all, it is only milk that is served in a bottle. Juice comes from a sippy cup or a juice-box-we've even learned to get all of the juice out of the box without spilling or squeezing. But alas, it's time for us to change the way we consume liquids.
Introducing Your New Baby to Your Pet
Having a child is a life altering event for you and your family. If you own a pet and are concerned about how your pet will respond to the bringing home of a little bundle of joy, then you are not alone. Hundreds of thousands of new families each year have to deal with how their pet might respond to the new baby. If you have a small child or are expecting in the near future you may have many questions such as, what if my pet gets jealous, what if he or she bites the baby, how do I get my pet used to the new baby, and vice versa?
Child Safety in the Home
In the 15-year period from 1982 to 1996, the leading cause of death among young children was accidents, poisoning and violence (external causes) -- these accounted for about 46% of all deaths among Australian children.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|