Reasons for Recording Your Life Story
1. No one else will do it for you.
2. No one else knows the stories of you life quite like you do. Do you want them to tell it?
3. This is an opportunity to share knowledge, wisdom and advice to those who would be inspired tolearn from us.
4. When we record something, we remember more.
5. By reflection and recording we are able to gain a deeper appreciation for all the surroundinghappenings that influenced our decisions and experiences.
6. A life examined and recorded is twice precious, first the experience itself and then the memories itevokes when we read about it later.
7. Everyone has a story to tell. We each have a unique view of history from our own perspective.
8. There is an inner need in each of us to be remembered. To reflect and to see that our lives hadvalue.
9. We want to be remembered by descendants as a real person and not just a name on a tree.
10. If not recorded, the stories you learned from your grandparents will die with you.
11. The things you did as a child are as remote from children today as Mars is from the Earth.
12. You will be looking at painful memories of childhood with the eyes of an adult and realize that theyno longer have the power to hurt you.
13. You have the opportunity to leave a legacy for friends and family.
14. This is a way to celebrate your own life.
15. It allows family and friends to know you as an individual, not just the role they were familiar with.
16. By sharing how you overcame adversity, it may strengthen another who is facing a hard time.
17. It gives you an opportunity to not only examine events, but feelings and emotions.
18. It allows you the opportunity to say on paper what is sometimes hard to express in person.
19. By writing our stories, we can examine our life's journey with a wider view.
20. It is very therapeutic to examine the past and then to let old hurts go.
21. It is the ultimate journey of self-discovery, even if no one else ever reads it.
22. You can pass down traditions, standards, beliefs or even recipes that have a great deal of meaningwithin the family or community.
23. As you grow older and less verbal, it helps caregivers and others to see you as you once were.
24. You will be respected, envied and praised for doing what most people just talk about doing.
A recent survey taken of a group of elderly people indicated that their major life regrets were in not:
! Taking more risks-choosing the secure over the unknown and the unknown would have been fine..
! Reflecting more, taking time to stop along the way and decide who we are and where we are going.
! Contributing and sharing more feelings, thoughts and emotions with family, friends and community.
By recording your life story, which is a scary step to take, you can accomplish all three.
There is an old African saying that every time a person dies, it is as if a library has burned down.
Just do it, you will always be glad that you did!!!
If you are interested in getting the answers to these and otherquestions about life story writing, please contact us email@example.com and sign up for a tele-classand our FREE e-zine: "The Artichoke" - finding the heart of thestory in the journey of life..
ŠJudy H. Wright, Personal and Oral Historian - www.artichokepress.com
Time to Write
SO YOU WANT TO BE A WRITER?
If You Want to Succeed As a Writer, Dont Just Think It, Do It
It never ceases to amaze me when a prospective writer confesses that he or she has never put anything down on paper. Obviously, that's the first step. Just dreaming about it won't make it happen. Anyone can write. But not everyone writes well.
Nonfiction Idea Generators
The hardest part of nonfiction writing is finding a subject to write about. Unless you're a student or a professional writer no one is going to select a topic for you. That means you have to come up with your own themes. If you're like most writers, your subject matter will be things that interest you. I used the headings listed below to generate ideas for my writing. Hopefully these idea generators will help you become a more productive writer.
Names are important. Names give clues about us, where we live, who we are. In some cases they can even tell what we do! There is a certain ring about George W. Bush, you just know he's American! You can almost feel the Texan, and taste the oil
8 Advantages to Writing a Book as an Entrepreneur
As an aspiring or an established entrepreneur, you are an expert in something, but does the rest of the world know? You have a wealth of information, experience and knowledge that you can package into a book that will benefit others. This truly is the information age and people want to know what you know.
How To Self-Publish Your Own Books, Manuals, Reports Or Newsletters
You can make a lot of money by writing and self-publishing your own material, if you are willing to write books, manuals, reports or newsletters that millions of people across the United States, and throughout the world for that matter, desperately want to buy.
Five Common Errors to Correct Before Submitting a Letter or Report
First impressions count in writing too! So it is always a good idea to carefully check documents such as letter, reports, and proposals before submitting them. Below are five of the most common errors.
Book Publishing Contracts For Writers: What Should I Look Out For?
Dave, I just got a contract for a book from a publisher that I haven't worked with before. These long, tedious legal documents just befuddle me, however! Would you mind spinning through this and seeing what you think about the terms and clauses herein?
Creative Writing Tips - Does The Name You Chose Suit Your Character?
How do you choose a name? Do you put down the first name that pops into your mind? Initially that's what I used to do, until someone pointed out to me that there are a few things to take into consideration when choosing a name?
Do You Plot With Your Character In Mind?
Creative Writing Tips ?
Timer Magic for Writers
If your writing muscle isn't in shape, writing a novel may seem like a sheer, unscalable cliff. ("Gee, I don't think I can write today. I left my climbing shoes in my other backpack...")
Business Writing Tip: Question & Answer Format
Traditionally, business writing uses the "one thing after another" format, which usually means a plain recitation of the facts, circumstances, or whatever else needs to be said.
Publisher Ethics For Reprint-able Articles
Let's Discuss Publisher Ethics:
The Three Cs of Writing an Excellent all Purpose Headline
Since the headline is the first contact your readers have with your message, it must reach out to them. Promise them a benefit. Tell them how they will be better off if they read the rest of the ad. Use action verbs. Save ten dollars is a stronger heading than Savings of ten dollars because of the verb.
Make Your Mark Upon Humanity
The greatest gift you have to give to yourself and humanity is the book, the song, the poem the artwork or invention that is locked away within your consciousness.
The Writing Life
In the 7th grade I wanted to be an architect but it turns out math is involved. Who knew? My 8th grade English teacher talked me into working on the school newspaper and I was hooked. It seemed like easy lifting compared to architecture.
14 Tips On Writing The Short-Short Story
The short-short story has been likened by some as being closer to writing a poem than a story. And that makes sense-every word has to be packed with power; every line has to move the story along.
Writing Tips for your Journey
Tips for your writing journey
Help! I Cant Write!
Writer's Block can strike like a King Cobra, paralyzing every little golden nugget you try to create. What can you do to lick it? Below are some fun suggestions to crack the nut! (write about each prompt for twenty minutes)
Griselda spent hours polishing up her resume. No detail was too small: type face, layout and spacing. She weighed each word, counted each comma. She sent out 200 resumes and received no responses.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|