8 Ways to Improve Your Writing Immediately
Is it possible to improve your writing instantly? The answer, happily, is "yes."
While researching a book on famous speeches and essays, I found eight easily correctable mistakes writers often make. Here they are?and how to correct them instantly.
1. UNFOCUSED SUBJECT ? Focus on a single theme only. Every sentence and paragraph should reinforce that topic.
2. TOO LONG ? Abraham Lincoln crafted his Gettysburg Address in less than 300 words. Unless I'm specifically asked to do otherwise, I try to condense my work to one double-spaced single page (about 250 words).
3. WEAK PREMISE ? Can you state the major focus of your message in 20 words or less?
4. NO ATTENTION-GRABBER ? The first sentence or two must quickly attract the reader. Two ways to do this: (a) ask a question or (b) reveal a discovery.
5. UNLINKED PARAGRAPHS ? Each paragraph should logically lead to the next. One way some writers do this: (a) quickly write several paragraphs on a subject; ((b) prioritize them; (c) present them in descending order from most important to least important; (d) conclude by restating the two or three most important points.
6. PASSIVE VERBS ? Passive verbs like is, am, was, and were simply exist. Action verbs run, jump, excite, and motivate.
7. BORE FACTOR ? Some research says the average adult attention span is only eight seconds. So it's important to make your points convincingly, and end your paper powerfully.
8. WEAK ENDING ? Exit your report like an experienced stage performer?leave your audience wanting more. Two ways to do this: (a) use a famous quote to reinforce your conclusion, or (b) give details showing the reader where to get more information on the subject. (Examples: your phone, fax, e-mail, etc.)
Rix Quinn writes the nationally syndicated weekly newspaper humor feature "Poor Rix's Almanac" for DBR Media.
His new book "Words That Stick" is available from your local bookstore, or from Amazon.com. He can be reached by phone at 817-920-7999.
10 Secrets For Writing Killer Complaint Letters
Complaint letters aren't always fun, but sometimes they needto be written. In many cases, if people don't complain, the problem agency at fault (i.e. company or government) won'teven know that the problem that you and others may haveexperienced even exists.
How to Relax Your Writing
Q. My writing sounds stiff and stilted. Help!
Use These 3 Editing Tips to Ensure Your Writing Hits the Bull?s-Eye
The first step in the writing process is to put your ideas down on paper. Once you have text to work with, the second step is to revise what you have written to make it as clear, accurate and powerful as you can. The final step is to edit your work carefully.
Top Seven Ways to Write your Print or eBook Fast
Want to write your book? But, need a blueprint on why it will help your profits and brand your business? Need to know each step so you can delegate it to an assistant or do it yourself in just an hour a day for less than a month?
Taming The Book Proposal
Taming the Book Proposal: The Basics
The Authors Life: 14 Hints on Creating a Career Plan
1. Remember publication is a business; writing is an art. Get those confused at your peril. Treat publication as you would any enterprise--as a professional. Meet deadlines, learn about the industry, and grow in your craft.
10 Secrets For Everyday Writing Success
During my 25-year career in a variety of professionalpositions in both the private and public sectors I have written literally thousands of letters and memos andhundreds of reports. If I had to boil-down everythingI've learned about practical day-to-day writing for bothpersonal and business purposes into 10 key points, thiswould be my "top 10 list".
Applying KISS Principle in Writing
I have added a new word to my vocabulary. Logorrhea. We've all been touched by it. What is it? The Word Spy defines it, "excessive verbosity and long-windedness. Also know as verbal diarrhea."
Dreading the Writing Assignment? Outlines to the Rescue
Writing technical articles is a challenge. There you sit, surrounded by reams of research, notes and interviews. Where do you start?
We writers are a powerful lot. We control time. We dictate actions. We control destinies.
Break in with Fillers: The Best Market for New Writers
Interested in breaking into writing or breaking into a new area? You can't go past writing fillers. Fillers are one of the most overlooked opportunities in the freelance writing world and offer one of the best opportunities for new writers.
Permission NOT To Write
Quite a few years ago, I enrolled in a Degree in Criminal Justice. My main reason for doing so was my interest in reading and writing crime and mystery fiction. I thought by doing this course, I would gain a good grounding in police procedure. I was particularly interested in forensic science and profiling.
Keeping a Love Journal
Do you love someone very deeply? A spouse, son, daughter,or maybe a group of people. February 14 is Valentine‚??s Day.This unofficial holiday is a day card companies started toincrease their business and has evolved into more over theyears. It is a day of reflection, a day to show someoneelse you care, a day to see the love we have for ourselvesas well.
Through the Eyes of an Artist
As writers, we initially tend to be either more cerebral or emotional than perceptive. Its occurs to me that writers are driven to express what they actually haven't figured out how to say verbally, but long to say somehow. Then, we at least have the struggle down on paper where we can move it around, erase it, start over and add to it. Seeing the words will perhaps give us a better chance of revising to something close to what we want to say.
The Cost of Being a Writer
You are the only one who knows what being a writer means to you.
Dont Get Burned: Evaluating Script Writing Contests
Hundreds of writing contests tempt screenwriters with the lure of prize money, instant film industry contacts and personal feedback from film professionals. But contests can be costly, screenwriters should choose intelligently.
The Unwritten World Of The Reality Of Letterwriting
You may wonder why I have chosen this title of this post. Well from my experience is that it is really hard to put the feeling into words about what letter writing means to me. Letter writing is becoming a lost art on many levels. It is fading into the background of society. It is still practised by many people. It is those people that I am looking to connect with. I have been told by many people whom have read my posts that they feel the same way about letter writing as I do. I want to hear from those people what they feel; I want to hear their words.
Write Your Story, Put It On A Website, Sell Millions of Copies
Although he has his own website, John Grisham probably does very little self-promotion. When you have Doubleday on your side, most of the marketing is done for you. There are not too many John Grisham's out there though, so the unknown authors, with small publishing houses, have to be responsible for marketing themselves. This is not hard work, but it does take persistence and ingenuity. Follow this model, and you'll be successful.
10 Best Writers Who Ever Lived
Compiling a list of the history's ten best writers is like skating on a heated swimming pool. Just when you get started, you find yourself in hot water.
Top Ten Ways to Write a Book That Sells
Is there a book inside of you? Yes? Then why don't you write it? Or, if you've already written a book, wouldn't you like to sell more? So many of you have a great idea for a book, even a dynamite title, but much more is needed to write a book that sells. Here's the top ten ways to write a book that sells:
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|