7 Healthy Ways To Release Holiday Stress
Many people go through the motions during Christmas. If notthe whole holiday season just parts. I see them slumped inline, not a smile to be found, their body stiff, justcounting the number of people ahead of them, and time. Giftgiving or even receiving is right, wrong, good, bad, orconsidered a waste. The control of it all, tightens thebody, encompasses the soul, and buries the magic. Where isthe release or where do we begin? It starts mindfully witha choice, movement in the body, and a change of spirit.Resolve to release the stress of it all, the need forcontrol, the right, or the wrong. Stand tall, smile, talkto your neighbor, give them the acknowledgment just like youwant and deserve whether it's one minute or more.
1. Lower back release. Stand facing a wall. Palms flatagainst the wall, arms stretched, body angled straight, bendone knee, and place it closer to the wall. Bend gentletowards the wall. Close your eyes and see the tension inyour back. Envision it as a light. Mindfully move thatlight down your legs out into the floor. If the lightprefers, let it travel through the arms into the wall. Itdoesn't matter, just that it goes. What is so nice aboutthis release is there is usually a wall available anywhereyou go or you can use this release in the shower at home.
2. Breathing exercises cleanse. Lay down, a bed or couchwork well, talk through a speech, or just talk aloud. Atthe same time breathe deeply, watch your stomach rise andfall, the same way a baby's does when lying on their backasleep. This will help you find your authentic voice; itwill probably sound different than ever before. Listen tothat voice, remember it well, use it often and what thechange in people who are listening.
3. Cheek, not facial, squeezing and release can be donesitting in your office chair or while you are driving.Squeeze, release, squeeze, release. Alternatively, playeach cheek to the beat of a song. Squeeze first the right,then the left, and then the right again. "Buttock dancing"is a great release for the back and shoulders. It's okay tolaugh through this because it then fades into number 4below.
4. Laughter. Rent some funny movies or create your ownlaughter. Try this: sit, feet firmly on the ground, bendforward with elbows on your knees. Take a deep breath andlet out a big laugh. A hearty one, the kind from thestomach, the kind you try to hide. Repeat until you feelthat the body releases the stress. It usually doesn't takebut two or three times. If you are a speaker, do thisbefore entering the room.
5. Do something wild. Streak across your room; sway nakedin the moonlight, or dance to wild music with your spouse.Let the hair down, let go of control. When was the lasttime you were not in control, the time you left allinhabitations go, you went with your own personal flow? Ifyou are a writer, write wildly as if no censorship, norules. Use wild, daring words, don't ask what they mean orspell like they sound. Release the wildness everyday, itkeeps the diseases at bay, it's better than an apple a day.If a runner, fling your arms wildly around, as if goingwild. Because actually, you am. Make ugly faces. Stand upin front of your computer screen, dance and sway toimaginary music if none is around. Howl at the moon andeven share it with friends. Bring some drums and strum.
6. Sounds. Let out a "yippee" or a big "yes" loud or soft,in a car by yourself, or in your cubby hole at your deskwhen you have completed something or did something well.Let out a "You go, Girl" cry with a powerful arm thrust.Open your mouth wide and verbally say the vowels, "aa, ee,ii, oo, uu." (This is my favorite release before and aftera speech, it loosens the throat.) Yawn with sounds andstretch with the yawn. Burp with oops and pride instead ofapology and shame. It's only a body movement nothing more.When someone else does it, respond well, with jest ratherthan a disapproving glare.
7. All choked up. Our throat harbors our unspoken dreamsand uncried tears caused from stress, of trying to be incontrol. Use a pillow to muffle, or find a field where noone can hear, yell and shout, but don't shriek, from thedepth of your belly. This sends any blocked energy from thethroat away. Your voice, even your body, may feel drainedas the toxins held inside get released, especially if youkeep it up for 10 or 15 minutes (your goal). Try this a daybefore a speech to lower your pitch and relax your throat.You will see a new sense of commanding power with a newauthentic voice in your writing or in your speaking.
These are seven various ways to let go of stress in yourbody, open up your writing, improve your presentationquality, or return your self-confidence and personal power.It's easy to forget we need to let go, become wild intoorder to take back our own control. Control of our healthand not take it for granted. You can also use any one ofthese in the shower. Singing in the shower is a healthyrelease of stress, in tune or not. Health is the one thingin life money can't buy.
© Copyright 2004, Catherine Franz. All rights reserved.
Catherine Franz, a eight-year Certified Professional Coach,Graduate of Coach University, Mastery University, editor ofthree ezines, columnist, author of thousands of articleswebsite: http://www.abundancecenter.comblog: http://abundance.blogs.com
Squeeze To Relax!
This heading may seem like a contradiction in terms. How on earth is squeezing anything going to allow for relaxation to occur? Surely it will generate more tension, won't it?
Stressed? Go on a Quick Getaway
Did you know that taking a short trip, such as over President's Day weekend, or anytime, can have the same stress-reducing effects as a longer one? According to a Stanford University psychiatrist, David Spiegel, our minds shift into a more relaxed state during the first few days of a trip. When we have been away from home for long trips we tend to slightly increase our stress, or dread, coming back to home or work.
Strategies for Eliminating and Managing Stress
To combat modern day stressors, you need to realize that things are going to go the way they are going to go, so you may as well just relax. The most important thing you can do for yourself is to practice extreme self-care which means putting your own needs first. We have had it backwards for far too long, taking care of yourself first is not selfish, it is essential. Invest in yourself in all areas of your life, to include: personal services, massage therapy, body workers, counselors/coaches.Develop daily rituals that keep you feeling good. You must take care of yourself first or you will be no good to anyone else. Self-care is simply loving and honoring yourself. Loving yourself is giving to yourself. Giving to yourself allows you to share with others more fully. Being more fully present means you naturally develop less of an attachment to what goes on around you, and can instead be more relaxed and at peace. Releasing the need to control yourself, other people, and/or situations, will greatly reduce the amount of stress you experience in your life. Also helpful is relaxing, refreshing, and rejuvenating your body, mind and spirit.
Haris Stress Inventory
Conceptualizing stress: Stress often has a negative connotation. Failure, illnesses, distress are often marked as stress. Stress can also be a result of factors like job promotion, transfers, first love and the like.
Dynamic Guide - How to Recharge Your Mind With A Refreshing Recreational Activity!
Let's face it! The majority of our time is either spent sleeping or working. The demands of our employers and our workspace means that we are all highly stressed. We face one hundred and one problems that demand our fullest attention during the day at our workplace and when we return home, we face domestic difficulties that need urgent resolution.
Stress relief and management
Stress Free COBRA
If you have recently lost health insurance coverage through your employer from voluntarily or invulnerably termination of employment (excluding reasons of gross misconduct), you and your dependents may be eligible to continue your coverage under COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act). Understanding the basics of how COBRA works and what your options are, can help you make better choices with less stress.
Training Your Mind For Better Business and Leisure
Training Your Mind For Better Business and Leisure
Why Stress Management Programmes Don?t Work
Why Stress Management programmes don't work?
How To Eliminate Or Manage Stress
Are you a "worry wart?" Is that term familiar to you? It is to me but it's been a long time since I've heard it used. I do remember people telling me years ago when something was really bothering me and they would say, "Oh! you are a just a real "worry wart".
Stress Relief in Minutes
For those who are suffering from stress, just about the hardest thing to find is stress relief. Stress can often continue itself on its own energy and, as it mounts up upon itself, it builds itself into an absolute mental frenzy. Unfortunately, this sort of mental frenzy is ultimately counter-productive and leaves the mind so frenzied that it cannot actually take care of whatever is causing the stress. Thus, stress relief is a way to help the mind attend to the necessities of life.
9 Warning Signs of Stress
Stress is the nastiest 4 letter word you ever met. Don't stress, I know it is six letters but it packs the wallop of the meanest 4 letter word you ever heard.
Top 10 Tips on Managing Conflict, Emotional Tension, and Anger
To be a safe and predictable person for those around you at work and at home, it is essential that you are able to maintain your composure when you feel like your 'buttons' are being pushed. This strength will help you to achieve your goals in business as well as your goals for your personal relationships.
How Breathing Differently Can Make You Happier
"When you breathe, you inspire. When you do not breathe, you expire." ? Quote from an 11-year-old's science exam
Recognize the Early Signs of Burnout
Most of us are trying to balance work, home, and a family life. We tend not to accept the early symptoms of burnout and carry on our daily lives. In my opinion, living your life isn't supposed to be that way. If you ignore the red flags, you'll become gravely ill and your life could come to a complete halt.
Stress Managment: 5 Things to Clean Out of Your Mental Closet
Aromatherapy Candles Release Stress
Have you been feeling so stressful and almost losing your patience over anything? Everything seems to be shattered and you think that you cannot handle it anymore. This is definitely the perfect time to lighten the burden! Aromatherapy is a great conclusion. Some scented aromatherapy candles will help you out! What are aromatherapy candles anyway? Let's find out about them in here.
Put the 80/20 Rule to Work for Your Life!
Perhaps you've heard of the 80/20 rule, but don't know where it came from or how it was adapted. Please allow me to give a bit of background on the 80/20 rule before I jump into the way you can put it to work for you.
4 Steps to Teaching Your Family to Treat You Better
Case #1- Elizabeth, a 40 year old homemaker was always feeling angry and "used" by her family, constantly saying that everybody took advantage of her. She felt that she worked like a slave but her family showed no appreciation or acknowledgement of her many efforts.
Conquer Stress and Anxiety Naturally With This Safe and Effective Method
Rhodiola Rosea is the latest natural remedy to join the arsenalof natural anxiety and stress reducers.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|