West Highland White Terrier - Picking the Right Breeder
Do you want a Westie as a pet? What are your expectations? What do you know about the breed? You take time out to know these answers. Knowing your motives and being sufficiently educated about the breed, is key to getting the dog that's right for you. It will also guide you in picking the right breeder, from the many West Highland White breeders around.
Your breeder should:
1. Be a member to the following: the West Highland White Terrier Club of America, a regional Westie club, or an all-breed club. Membership to all these organizations is ideal, but it's not a strict requirement. It does indicate that they are committed to knowing all there is for the breed, and responsibilities attached.
2. Be concerned about what kind of buyer you are, and to whom they sell their dogs. This is a good indication that the breeder isn't after a quick profit but genuinely concerned in doing what is right for both the dog and you.
3. Will allow you access to the puppy, so you can have this examined by a veterinarian. The veterinarian is a reliable third party who can give you the real situation with regards to health of the puppy. It also gives both you and the breeder, the assurance about the condition of the puppy upon sale.
4. Willingly give you references about their clientele list, names of other breeders and the veterinarians who provide care for these dogs.
5. Be knowledgeable about the breed, because buying a Westie is not the end of it. You'll still need expert advice when it comes to such problems as health, feeding or even socialization issues. A dedicated breeder who'll remind you to return the dog to them, should you decide to not to keep it, later on.
6. Be able to show you a kennel that is clean, puppies that are friendly and playful.
7. Provide you a complete record of the dates and types of vaccinations and worming done, feeding instructions for your puppy.
8. Provide you a written contract and/or conditions of sale for the puppy.
9. Give you a "blue slip"; this is the application to register the puppy in your own name with the American Kennel Club (AKC). If its' not available during the time of sale, request that the breeder state on a dated, signed receipt of payment that the application will be sent to you as soon as possible.
Your relationship with the breeder of your West Highland Terrier is not a one time sale, it continues until the death of your pet; it makes great sense to have rapport between you and your breeder.
(Disclaimer: Any information contained in this site relating to various medical, health and fitness conditions of Westies or other animals and their treatments is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by your own veterinarian. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing the health of any animal. You should always consult and check with your own vet or veterinarian.)
I do hope that you have found the article of use to you.
Good health and happiness
What You Need To Know To Keep Your Dog Safe In Your Car
Man's Best Friend is a great companion around the home, but Rover will love joining you on road trips - short or long - as well. If you've tried taking your dog along in the car before and met with bad results, don't give up. It might take a little longer to help your pet feel comfortable after a bad experience, but you can train your dog to ride quietly in the car. It requires foresight and patience on your part, but the rewards are worth it.
Is Dog Dental Care Necessary?
Caring for your dogs teeth is a vital part of his overall health and maintenance. Sure, you may feel funny brushing Fido's pearly whites every night before bed, but good dental care for dogs is much more than just having white teeth and good breath.
Your Kids Want a Pet, You Dont Want To Pet Anything
"Mom, can we get a puppy?" Who hasn't heard that line before? The kids think it's time for an addition to the family, but you know you don't have time for a family pet.
My Dog Died !
Pets provide an unconditional love that requires very little on the part of the human.
So are you ready for a Boxer Dog?...
An easier and more pleasant journey with your chosen Boxer starts with checking out the parent dogs for unbecoming traits like aggression, hyperactive and extreme shyness.
Protecting Yourself From Online Pet Classifieds Scams!
Internet Fraud, Classifieds Scams, Abuse and Suspicious Replies are world wide issues that have become widespread in targeting sellers and buyers everywhere specially on the Internet. Often this involves buyers from Nigeria, Africa, Holland and other countries. In recent years, online Pet Classifieds scams have increased and have affected many people.
Games You Can Play With Your Dog
Dogs need mental and physical stimulation. They're also very inquisitive creatures, and they love spending time with their owners, and other people in your family.
Probiotics - The Good Bacteria
PROBIOTICS - The Good Bacteria - Does your pet have digestion problems, diarrhea, skin problems, food intolerances, or other chronic health problems? Supplement with a high quality pet probiotic to restore your pet's healthy gut, and chances are you'll improve your pet's health.
Introducing a Cat to Your Children
Are cats and children a good mix?
Why Does My Cat Drink Dirty Water?
You know that cats should always have a supply of water, especially if you are feeding them dried food. There on your nice clean kitchen floor is a bowl of nice clean fresh water, in a nice clean bowl.
The Noble Skye Terrier
With ancestors who were a breed of tenacious terriers, most often used for ratting (hunting vermin), the Skye Terrier has become less a working dog and more a dignified companion animal»since the latter part of the 17th century.
Love Your Animal Companion? Spay or Neuter
Ozzie, my four-month old Rottweiler peered up at me with his big brown eyes, as I temporarily left him for a very important surgical procedure. As much as it broke my heart to drop off my "baby" at the local humane society, I know it was the responsible thing to do.
Facts You Need To Know About Adopting A Dog
Mum, dad, can we get a puppy? Its a plea that may parents will know only too well. How do you go about adopting a dog to make suure that the dog is happy and there isn't too much upheaval in your home?
Feral Cats - Societys Problem Children
There is a lot of talk going on about what to do with the issue of feral cat population.
Doggy Dental Care: Teeth Cleaning 101
Your dog's dental health is so important for his total well-being... and for guaranteeing him a long and happy life. So don't give him the brush-off! Make tooth cleaning a daily ritual that your dog will look foward to as something the two of you do together.
Winterizing Your Dog
It's beginning to get cooler and as such it is also time to plan for all your outside animals' safety. As with all mammals, the winter months pose a particular disadvantage -most especially to those outside pets many of us have.
Dog Flea Control Management: How To Prevent, Treat, And Kill Dog Fleas
Dog flea control and management requires an integrated approach. For effective treatment both the host animal and the environment must be treated at the same time. Control of fleas on the pet generally requires the use of insecticides. Although flea combs can remove some fleas, combing should be thought of as a method for detecting fleas rather than removing them.
Managing Horse Pasture
A major part of a horse's diet is hay or pasture. A horse weighing 1000 pounds will eat about 500 pounds each month. A horse needs roughly 28 acres of non-irrigated, dryland pasture a year if that is the only source of forage. However, a pasture that is irrigated will grow more forage than dryland pasture, requiring less acreage. The amount of irrigated pasture needed for one horse is roughly 1 to 2 acres.
The Different Breeds Of Dogs
The American Kennel Club recognizes 150 different dog breeds. There are seven different groups in which the dog can belong. They are assigned to one of the groups based on what the breed of dog was originally developed for. There is also a miscellaneous group if the dog doesn't fit into one of the seven. The seven different dog groups are as follows.
Dogtra: Superior Dog Training Equipment that Performs as it Claims
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|