The Top 10 Questions for Socially Responsible Leaders
The assets of your business traditionally include property, plant, equipment, and your customer base. Progressive organizations understand that business assets also include their good reputation, responsiveness to change, the ability to conduct a constructive dialogue with stakeholders, the ability to take advantage of networked resources, and a host of other non-traditional assets. Companies are increasingly adopting socially responsible business practices based on sustainable development to ensure efficiency, stimulate innovation, and create top-line growth. This "new" approach to business must reach into every area of the organization to ensure that goals and objectives are in alignment with the mission. To begin the discovery process, ask yourself these questions:
1. Is the organization managed with an emphasis on being socially progressive? Today's progressive organization understands what it means to be socially responsible and how that contributes to the welfare of the organization. Leadership must prioritize values and initiatives and incorporate them into the agenda in a way that is in harmony with the overall objectives of the organization. At this point, this "new" agenda must be communicated so that all concerned can progress it forward.
2. Does the organization operate using a cost vs. benefit approach taking into consideration intrinsic and consequential costs/benefits? Some may think that emphasizing social responsibility will be a financial drain on the organization too great to overcome. If that were the case, there would be no case for this new approach to management. Costs must be weighed against benefits ? not just obvious costs or benefits. Benefits include increased productivity, customer loyalty, innovation, and countless others.
3. Are the finances of the operation managed to ensure long-term prosperity for all concerned? Risk is inherent in the business world. A business must invest in itself and its future, evaluating the risk of experimentation and development. Without continuing investment the organization is sure to stagnate, with too much emphasis on growth and development there is an abundance of waste. The organization just can't keep up. To establish long-term prosperity, the financial plan must emphasize growth in a sustainable way.
4. Are printed marketing materials and packaging designed to minimally impact the environment? This is a great way to get the process started. Evaluating how the company presents itself in the marketplace can provide immediate opportunities to progress the social responsibility agenda. Making appropriate modifications to packaging is a quick way to gain some exposure and momentum. The entire life cycle of production materials and packaging should be considered and designs modified to minimize the environmental impact.
5. How has product development served to foster innovation and take advantage of advanced technology? The progressive organization is continually improving its processes, systems, and designs. Competition is fast to respond, so there is no time to sit around and wait for the next move. The services or products produced must always be ready to evolve to the next level of usefulness. With an infrastructure that prioritizes creativity and innovation, the company is always ahead of the pack.
6. Does the organization strive to get to know and understand its customers and their needs? The socially responsible organization recognizes that it must contribute to the welfare of its customers and meet needs in a way that improves their lives. Sometimes this improvement is highly visible and other times you must stretch a bit to fully comprehend it. Either way, there should be identifiable positive results for customers choosing to make use of the organization's products or services.
7. Are individuals encouraged to increase competency and enhance their skill set to better serve the socially responsible organization? An organization's people are one of its greatest assets. Each staff member has the potential to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary. From the front line to top management, the organization's people must be encouraged to participate directly in strategic thinking and progressing the agenda. Staff should be encouraged and rewarded for pursuing professional development opportunities that make them more valuable and versatile.
8. What considerations were incorporated into the organization's facilities to stimulate creativity? The work environment contributes positively or negatively to productivity and creativity. The organization's people spend the majority of their waking hours in the workplace. There is a tremendous opportunity to use this time to stimulate the creative process and establish an environment that fosters harmonious interactions. From color schemes, to ergonomic furniture, or the use of advanced technology, the organization's facilities should be given appropriate consideration.
9. How has technology been employed to bring the organization closer to its customers, suppliers, and internal resources? The world wide web has reduced our farthest neighbor to the "boy next door". We have the ability to provide our customers, suppliers and internal concerns with access to information and a convenient method of communication that 10 years ago would not have been imagined. Customers and suppliers are literally a click away. By using technology wisely, we can provide them with the information they need to help us serve them better or vice versa.
10. Has the organization studied and demonstrated that it understands how it contributes to the global marketplace? Every organization contributes to the global marketplace in some way. There is a chain of influence that needs to be understood to fully embrace the importance of incorporating social responsibility initiatives into an organization's mission. You can begin by tracing your product or service as it moves through its life cycle. As you begin to recognize how even a small change can accumulate and make a global difference, you will be inspired to take an intentional first step towards social responsibility.
The Top 10 Questions for Socially Responsible Leaders have been excerpted from a FREE Report "40 Questions for Socially Responsible Leaders" available at www.WholisticBusiness.com. At Wholistic Business, we believe that business literally makes the world go around. It will be business owners and managers that will ultimately change the world for the better. By incorporating a new set of values and priorities into what has proven to be a successful formula on many levels, we believe that business will be the platform for a new agenda - the Social Responsibility Agenda.
Regardless of the size of your business, you make a contribution to the global marketplace that impacts humanity with a rippling effect. As an organization's leader, you choose whether that ripple will be felt positively or negatively. Even a small movement or change in a socially responsible direction can have a dramatic effect. Every day produces a new opportunity for change!
About The Author
Wholistic Business (http://www.WholisticBusiness.com), a division of MetaComm International, LLC, is committed to assisting organizations in developing socially responsible business practices with a keen eye on productivity and profitability. Gala Gorman, MetaComm's CEO, holds a Master's Degree in Human Development, is a certified public accountant, certified financial planner, published author, executive coach and business consultant with 25 years of experience. firstname.lastname@example.org
Leadership Training Seminar - What Makes A Great Leader?
At one point or another, we have all been either a leader or a follower. While both roles are equally important, a leader plays an instrumental role in providing direction for his/her followers. A good way to identify an effective leader is to see if his/her followers are able to support and accomplish what their leader is asking of their team.
Three Growth Guidelines from Stephen Covey
I have been looking for answers to what it takes to create a winning corporate culture in the midst of today's confusing economic indicators. If I rely solely on history or economic indicators, I won't find the answers. Company profits are up, yet job growth is sputtering. Communication happens at breakneck speed, yet we often feel less connected to our peers than we ever did.
Introduction to the The Enneagram as a Leadership Tool
The Enneagram is a fascinating tool of nine orientations that enables us to gain insight into the depths of our true potential. It seeks to provide insight into how we fund our foundation of assumptions so they work for us or they don't! (In some ways it provides a generic Owner's Manual to Life! That little book we all hoped came with us to provide insightful directions on how to employ us and treat us with care.)
Four Obstacles to Exceptional Leadership--Part 1
"Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them." -- Orison Swett Marden
Stepping Into Leadership and Being The Source Of Your Success
Why is it that we often wait until we have achieved a level of success in network marketing before we feel as though we have earned the right to step into a leadership role? Leadership is NOT a position you acquire as a result of having achieved a certain volume or compensation plan position. It is a place you come from as a declaration that guides your decisions and actions. When you are the source of everything that shows up in your life and in your business, your actions will be in sync with this self-declared leadership role.
5 Steps on How to Set and Achieve Your Goals
Which one is a goal? I will lose 15 pounds I want to run a marathon Quit smoking All of the above None of the above
How To Party Like Leonardo Da Vinci
After studying scores of great thinkers like Leonardo Da Vinci, I think I've stumbled upon what really set them apart from the rest of the folks living (and thinking) at the same time.
Fighting the Gravitational Pull of Positional Leadership
A little on leadership?
From Failure To Victory; The Cats Out Of The Bag!
Did you ever think that all of the great heroes we read about may not have been particularly great men in and of themselves? They may not have been born with any great skills, talents or abilities. But, each of them did have one special quality that we would all do well to cultivate.
Follow My Leader - To Effect Change, Leaders Must Walk the Talk!
A leader's role
Who Needs Heroes?
When we were talking the other day we started to think about our heroes when we were young. After we had discussed the usual film star and sports stars that we idolised I remembered Derek. Derek was a couple of years ahead of me in school and he had everything; he always got straight 'A's' and was formidable on the football field as well as one of the fastest over 100 metres. What's more he didn't appear to work at it. When the rest of us were 'slaving' away at our homework or sweating buckets trying to impress on the football field or athletics track he just turned up and got on with it. A natural, was how one of our teachers described him.
Character -- Why It Matters In Leaders
"Character is much easier kept than recovered." -Thomas Paine
Weakness, Struggle, Fear, Knowledge, Growth, Courage, Leader
Theodore Roosevelt was one of the most remarkable men in the history of the world. As a boy he wanted the boldness of his father. As a child he wanted to be a naturalist, but as a teenager he wanted to get into politics. Once in politics he wanted power, and once in power he would change the world forever.
Leadership Activity: How Leadership Agenda, Strategy, and Behaviors Shape Your Success!
"Forward, as occasion offers. Never look round to see whether any shall note it... Be satisfied with success in even the smallest matter, and think that even such a result is no trifle." - Marcus Aurelius
Women in Leadership - How to Get Promoted
It is often much harder for women to get promoted than men. The most common characteristic of successful women is that they know how to express their excellence in a male dominated environment. How do they do it?
How to Become a Great Leader & Improve Your Leadership Skills
A great leader is able to inspire his/her workers to work harder. Instead of firing workers, great leaders know how to fire his/her worker up to do their best.
Mr. Shoaffs Simple Strategies to Success
(Excerpted from the Jim Rohn Sampler single CD)
A Whack Up Long Side The Head Of Human Resources: The Leadership Imperative
When we perceive the simple center in the seemingly complex, we can change our world in powerful new ways.
Webster's defines leadership as : "1. the office of position of a leader, 2. capacity to lead, 3. the act of instance of leading, 4. LEADERS." Dale Carnegie, founder of the Dale Carnegie Institute and teacher of leadership skills, defines leadership as a mixture of traits and skills that can be learned and honed. John C. Maxwell, founder of INJOY and professional speaker on leadership, agrees with Carnegie, but further states that there are five levels of leadership with the highest level being attained by only a few people.
Listening Like a Leader
Our studies of the most effective people in corporate America show that the top 2 percent are effective not because they executed best practices well. They did not make the most phone calls or have the best processes. They simply understood the truth about trust:
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|