Profile of Women Leaders
Leadership is based on two words, "pressure and support"and that the leadership is the power to influence people to move in a direction that you believe in your heart is a good direction for most people" (Fennell, 1999, p. 267). Adams and Yoder noted that "evidence from contemporary studies on sex-roles and leadership indicates that men and women, with similar education, career aspirations and training, have basically identical scores on measures of psychological masculinity and femininity." In other words, the traits we assume are important in good leadership can be found among people of both genders.
What makes a leader is a complex question. It includes factors from the environment in which an individual was raised, his or her family situation, and his or her personality traits. . The following discussion is a summary of my own observations plus some of the conclusions of others
According to an overview of research conducted by me ,women are a fast-growing segment of the business community worldwide. The leadership characteristics required to make a success in this new reality are very much "feminine characteristics". These characteristics include:
1) Self-confidence, an independent mind-set and a willingness to take risks
Researching ? Case study of SerbiaI presented the latest results of researching related to women leaders and their position in the business world,i.e. how does people look at ( divided into sex,ages and level of education) women leaders and if they trust them. My scientific task was to make some conclusions and to point out some special characteristics of Serbia and Balkan region. We can see different opinions related to our questions : Do you trust to women-leaders? Could they be equaly successful in business world like men?
? Interviews conducted from 1.476 people ,726 women and 750 men
? Interviewed people were between 18 and 60 years old
? In the whole structure of respondents 30% were owners
? 73 % were married ,19 % single and 8% divorced.
? A few key findings are listed below:
? The barriers to women's advancement in business are remarkably similar across Balkan region and the biggest cities in the Serbia- Belgrade ,Novi Sad and Nis.
? The women respondents trust to women leaders ( 63 %) and most of them prefer to work in some firm where is a woman leader or executive manager.Also they think that the women want to reach the top, and are equaly ambitious like men.
? Most respondents (60%) say that Corporate Culture is the most significant barrier to women achieving top executive positions, while only twenty-nine percent (29%) think work/family balance is a significant barrier to advancement and 36% believe that a lack of self-promotion holds women back from achieving top-level positions
? The majority of men in research had negative attitude against women executives. In other words they expressed stereotypes and preconceptions about women's roles and abilities in business. Men stress that women have lack of general management experience ,lack of skills and knowledge and lack of role models.
Respondents among men almost gave the similar replies related to our questions as a following :
1.We are here Balkan and we are argue for traditional model of society
2. Women have been fighting for equal rights for nearly all of time and now that they have it they expect special treatment because they are females.3.I do not trust women in business and I do not accept them seriously4.I am afraid of those women5. I hate feminist community and culture6. Women must stay at home and be leaders in their families but not in business word. Leader position in business is reserved for men7. Women leaders are actually men dressed like womenIt is very interesting that a great amount of men do not make difference between women leaders and women feminists ,who are not very popular in this region. And about 20 % of women respondents in the research share mentioned opinion with the men.About 10 % of men respondents are afraid of women domination in the business world,because it could change natural balance between women and men and to decrease traditional role of the men in society and family.Therefore, they would not like domination of the business women in the 21 st century.It is also very indicative that among young women (18-35) exist the great interest for leadership and entrepreneurship and they more than earlier explore opportunities to reach their professional goals. Namely, they expressed their opinion with the following words:
1. Female owners and leaders have more of a struggle because they are females and no one will take them seriously so they have to push and make themselves known to the world and allow the world to see their capabilities while male owners don't have to worry about the struggle of fitting in and trying to live and work up to societies standards because since they are men they are already have the macho man persona and the alterego that men have.
2. Women have to fight harder and be stronger if they want to live and work in a man's world you have to adopt to the surronding don't expect a man to be a gentlmen and hold the door open for you, don't expect him to do anything out of the ordinary that a man would do for a female because in a sense you should be getting treated like his fellow counterparts and not expect differently. In order to fit in with the men you have to in a sense think, work and act like them meaning don't think that they will treat you like the female you are. You have to be strong not every man that you encounter will treat you like this but in order to show off your strengths you should expect this.
3. It's extremely obvious that women have come a long way as successful professionals. Life in the workplace has become much more diversified as an increased number of women have made their presence felt in many industries and professions. The female task force has expanded with exponential strength, and thus has its dire importance in the professional world. Whether they like it or not, men have to accept, once and for all, that women are marching up the corporate ladder confidently and with full speed ahead.
4. Women used to be much more "quiet and passive" in the workplace due to the relatively small number of female employees in comparison to males. Women today, on the other hand, have begun assuming their positions by using all their God given powers of intelligence and organization. Warren Farrell, author of Why Men Are the Way They Are, explains that men are jealous of the "beauty power" that allows women to get certain things based on their physical assets. Perhaps it's less that women use their beauty, and more likely that men judge them based on their physical beauty
5. The reasons that people start and lead business among women is to bring in and focus on a clientele of mainly women. Most times women start business that deal with products that women use, such as clothes, makeup and home products. The most successful companies run by women are ones that use women's special skills. These special skills are style, fiscal sense and public relations. Their strengths as business owners are their public relations and the clientele they bring in. There weakness as business owners is the overcoming of sexism that exists. There biggest fear is finding clientele that will due business with a women.. I think these men feel this way because they are insecure.
6. I simply think that women just became even more smarter. Speaking from a personal point of view, I know that being happy and successful are very important to me. They go hand in hand. Most of the women I know feel the same way. I believe that as the years progress women will be involved in an even bigger part of the economy, because young girls are going to follow their female role models.
7. Personally I feel that some high qualified positions are better suited to a women because men have humungous ego problems
8. I personally think that women can do whatever men do sometimes better. there have always been a glass ceiling for women in the work force however, many women are getting closer to this ceiling and some of them has at least attempted to break through this ceiling. the reason many people think that women are not capable of being in the work force is because of the conotation that has been here for like for ever, "women should stay home and take care of the home".
9. We need to stop complaing about how much work we have or how hard it is and just complete. The more we compain about the work, the more the man is going to say that things should go to how they used to be in the old days, which was The man works and when he comes home he gets treated as if he is something golden and special while tlelign us we are worthless. The woman can not go to work becuase she needs to stay home with the children and cook and clean the house. I am glad i live in this century becuase honestly i do not know how i woud've been able to live up to those expectations
At last we can conclude that the woman are now much more motivated and ready to reach their professional dreams and be leaders ,not only in Serbia and Balkan region , but all over the world then they once were. Until recently, entrepreneurship was considered by many to be the last bastion of male dominance in the business world. This is no longer true. More businesses are now being started by women than are being started by men. However,there are still a lot of men who don't think women should be in these positions and hold no respect for them at all. As time goes on, women are going to be a bigger and bigger part of the business world, and these men are just going to have to accept it and face a reality check, because no matter what they feel and how much they are against it, the world is changing and it's going to happen regardless of how they feel.
Mirjana Radovic, Ph.D.,Program Director of Master Program,"ENTREPRENEURSHIP FOR WOMEN" -Akamai University,USAgo to link http://www.akamaiuniversity.us/EntrepreneurshipforWomen.htmlThe topics of the program include affirmative action, access to debt and equity capital, the growth of women-led businesses in non-traditional sectors, work-life balance and the development of resource networks. Thie program is especially suited to women who want to own or assume a management position in a women-owned business. It also is intended for students who are prospective entrepreneurs and those interested in being entrepreneurial supporters (bankers, venture capitalists, lawyers, accountants, private investors, advisers and inventors
Dr. Radovic has spent over twenty years as a scientist. She has been a professor, a researcher and an author of eight books devoted to business management and entrepreneurship. Dr. Radovic has written numerous articles, reviews and essays in a number of professional journals and popular magazines. A native of Belgrade, she holds a Bachelor's Degree in Economic
The Heroic Entrepreneur: Profiting from Your Brilliance
If you look up the definition of hero in Webster's, you'll find a definition something like, 'A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war'. Some heroes in our lives have earned that badge of honor by doing something everyone feels is heroic as defined in the traditional sense, whether it's running into a burning building to rescue a child, pulling an injured woman from a car accident, or fighting the enemy in the time of war.
Competing With The Big Dogs
You run a small consultancy. You're well qualified, experienced and dedicated. Yet you can't get a meeting with the corporate decision-maker.
Securing Second and Third-round Venture Capital Financing
Widget sales are booming ? the competition is scrambling, demand is up, and the books are finally treading water. Your core management team has big ideas for the future of Widget Inc. Opportunity is abundant; but how will you fund that next big leap?
Chairman Greenspan and the FED, learn more you will be glad you did
So many people work their whole life to make money, but they know so little about out monetary system. They know so little about the Federal Reserve Bank and so very little about the brilliant minds, which make it all work. To get a better insight to the behind the scenes strategic planning and the intense thought which goes into making it all work I recommend you read a few books on the subject. Let's start on an easy one for your on-going education as an Entrepreneur; I recommend you first read:
PTO; Justification of the Means and the Ends
Some would say about certain issues that the means do not justify the ends. Well more often the ends do not justify the means. For instance if you are trying to accomplish something and know that if you do use the most approved PC methods then you cannot get to the desired results, but use those methods anyway as to not appear to offend anyone, then in the end you offend everyone by wasting their time and by failure of the project.
Entrepreneurial Emotions or It Seemed Like a Great Idea at the Time
It's your first business or the next Great Idea in your ongoing business, online or offline, it doesn't matter. The roller coaster ride is a theme and variations on the same experiences. First the exhilaration -- THIS idea, or THIS business is THE one. It'll put you on the map with lots of money in your bank account. It can't fail. It's just too good. Have you said this? More than once? I have, and several times during my life, with numerous businesses and varying levels of success.
Part-Time/In-Home Business - Low Expense and Low Risk
As a first time entrepreneur, there are a variety of franchises, dealerships, distributorships, and licensing opportunities available for purchase. Many of these you can start by working part-time from your home. In doing so, you save thousands of dollars in start up and operating costs, while at the same time reducing your overall risk.
Six Steps to Guarantee Your Business Success
Many of us slave away for years for one uninspiring company after another and dream of the day when we can sack the boss and go it alone.
How Good Is Your Big Idea
Q: I want to start my own business. I have tons of business ideas that all sound great to me, but my husband is not so sure. He says that we need to figure out a way to test my ideas to pick the one that has the best chance of succeeding. I'm ready to just pick one and go for it. What is the best way to determine if a business idea really is as good as it sounds?-- Hannah C.
The Entrepreneurs Prayer
As I awaken with the gift of yet another day and prepare for thetasks at hand, I offer up this most ardent prayer:
Dream It, Create It, Become It! Design a Dream Board
Have you ever heard of "Dream Boards" or "Treasure Maps"? A Dream Board is a visual picture of the dreams you have for your life. Some of my clients also use this concept to visualize their businesses! It's their first business plan.One thing that is important to remember, though, is not to "get stuck" on your dream boards. We all have plans for our future, but it's important to watch the universe for signs of "its" plans for us. Otherwise, we might miss out on some great opportunities!
Enterprising Route is to Go Your Own Way
DON'T talk to me about education for entrepreneurs. They're pouring far too much public money into it already - not counting the millions some well-known Scottish entrepreneurs are prepared to waste on it.
Youve Found Your Guru, Now What?
In my last article, "Follow That Guru", I told you about the one (1) simple technique I used when starting my home business, "A Name".
5 Tips to Step Boldly into the World & Set Yourself Apart from Others
"Real champions believe in themselves even when no one else will!" Author Unknown
Could a Non-Profit Structure Be Right for Your Business?
If you have a business idea, or an idea for a servicefor your community, there's one decision you must makeearly on: are you going to structure your project as afor-profit business, or as a non-profit corporation?
Boundary Setting 101 for Solo Entrepreneurs
Select the best response to the statement below:
Creativity & Entrepreneurship: The Creative Evolution of an Intellectual PropertyŠ
In each of us, there is a creative spark - a unique purpose and destiny for which we are born. Most of us have forgotten what that special gift is, or we are afraid to live it. My successful secret formula as outlined in my seminars, e-book and CD's will help you unlock your creative potential and discover your purpose in life. Passion, right-action, hard work and a commitment to excellence will create the quantum leap you desire in your life today!
The Secrets to Becoming a Successful Creative Entrepreneur: JJK Secrets #19-21
Hello Creative Entrepreneurs!
Everything You Wanted to Know About Public Domain Info, but Were Too Afraid to Ask!
What to Look Out For:
Applying The Daffodil Theory into Business Practice
At times all of us need a bit of inspiration to add to our day. When I first read this article, I had started my own home based business and was in a bit of a slump. This inspirational story was exactly what helped spring me into action and keep on going.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|