Craft Fairs, Bazaars & Flea Markets?Oh, My!
Many names are associated with events such as these. Craft Fairs, Bazaars, Flea Markets and Swap Meets are a few names you can find. Whatever the name?they all mean the same thing. They allow you to meet new and interesting people (hopefully customers), spend quality time with your family and more of course most importantly make some extra cash. But, before you debut your first table at one of these events, getting yourself prepared is the first step. The following is a guideline you can follow to help make sure you're ready.
1. First of course you'll want to find events that are held in your area. This is about the easiest task of all. You're sure to find them everywhere. Check you local newspaper, browse bulletin boards, and watch for fliers.
2. Next, attend a few local events yourself. Take a look around and view things from a customer's point of view. Which tables caught your eye first and why? What sort of products/merchandise is being carried? Most importantly, what's isn't there? Try to visualize how you'd like your table to look.
3. Once you've found the event you'd like to attend, reserve your table. Most events have an event manager. Find out who's in charge and contact them. Pricing will vary from one event to the next. Be sure to find out the average attendance to make sure it's worth the money. Don't forget to ask questions such as the availability of electricity (if needed), the size of your "booth", anything forbidden?
4. Make sure you have enough inventory. Stock up on catalogs, brochures and business cards. Make a list of all the supplies you'll need. Are you going to have samples available? You can find a printable check-list at http://www.mommyshelperonline.com/event-checklist.zip.
5. Decide what types of payments are going to be accepted. Are you only accepting cash? Do you have the ability to accept credit cards? Are you going to take checks? Does your bank accept check from customers out of the area?
6. Make a lead box. Lead boxes can be a great way to gain a mailing list, future or even repeat customers. One thing you can do with you lead box is hold a contest. An easy way to make a lead box is to take an ordinary cardboard box, cover it in decorative contact paper and cut a slit in the top. Print out entry forms with blanks for name, address, phone number and email address. Of course if you offer catalog parties or home parties, be sure to have a place asking if they're interested in holding one.
7. Set up your display at home to get a feel of how it will look at the event. By doing this you can take your time in arranging and re-arranging your display so you'll be ready for the event. The look and feel of your display has a large impact on your sales.
8. Recruit family members. You can make your events more family-friendly by assigning everyone a job. Spouses are great for helping un-loading and loading your merchandise, setting up and tearing down your display. Spouse also come in handy to "watch your table" if you need to step away. Smaller children can help bag/box up products that are sold, hand out business cards and catalogs or even meet and greet customers. Don't forget to bring along some fun things for children incase of the dreaded boredom.
9. Put on a smile. Don't just sit behind your table looking bored. Smile and greet visitors as they walk by or more importantly "stop in". Ask them if they're enjoying the event, how they're doing. Be friendly.
10. Have fun!
About the Author
What Is A Reverse Painting?
Welcome to the world of Reverse Painting on Glass.Reverse painting on glass has been considered a popular 'art of the people' for many centuries. The use of glass as a support for this intricate painting technique has not hindered its continuing popularity.
How to Make Your Own Refrigerator Magnets
There are several types of refrigerator magnets that you can make with a little effort and the right materials. Below are some ideas for making magnets for gifts or just for fun.
Woodworking ? Creative, Relaxing and Timeless
The title reflects Woodworking as a hobby, not as a vocation. Vocational woodworking is pretty much the opposite of the adjectives in the title because of the intense pressure to produce quickly in order to make it pay the bills. So we'll stick with the hobby orientation for purposes of this article.
Where Antiques Originate and How You Can Find Them
It's important to understand where antiques originate. Many antique buyers make the mistake of mis-understanding the process by which antique items are found. Many collectors and dealers waste valuable time searching in places where they believe that these items are in great abundance. But a true understanding of where antiques originate seems to have eluded many well meaning antique dealers and collectors.
Preserving Thanksgiving Memories for Scrapbooking
Last year our family tried out a new way to preserve Thanksgiving memories, and the result was truly a treasured keepsake.
50 Ideas to Get Organized and Enjoy Your Scrapbooking Hobby
Scrapbooking is a wonderful hobby! Besides being relaxing and fun, it also allows you to be creative and to spend quality time with your family and friends. Plus, it results in a storybook of lifelong memories.
Depression Glass Patterns
Collectors of Depression Glass find not only its beautifulcolors fascinating, but its patterns, as well. With manyglass producers making this type of glass, as you canimagine, many patterns resulted, creating a wide array ofpretty, practical, and inexpensive glassware affordable toevery American household in that lean era of history andmaking Depression Glass one of the most collectible itemstoday.
Photograph Mosaics and Markers in Your Scrapbooks
An attractive technique for placing photographs into scrapbooks is the photograph mosaic. Mosaics stretch photographs into an artistic rendition of the original photograph. Maps can also be stretched in this way. This method might be employed to create a funky look for a friend scrapbook or as a background for someone who likes computers, GIS, or geography.
Comic Book Collecting, Oh What An Enjoyable Past Time It Is!
Have you ever read a comic book before? I imagine just about everyone, at some time in their life, has read at least one comic book. But do your interests and enjoyment level go beyond that? You may have said to yourself, at sometime or another, I would like to start a comic book collection some day. Heck, you may even have several comic books lying around that you have just never organized.
The Making of a Slipcover: A Lost Art
Today in this world of fast everything, most of us just don't have the time (nor patience) to do an all consuming job of making a slipcover. We go buy them and not always are they what we want. They are generic in most cases and just don't work on the furniture right or look professional. If you can find the time and feel creative, you can produce a masterpiece for an old (or new) piece of furniture that needs a change to correspond with a new room update. The slipcover will produce a sense of confirmation and beauty for "you", the person doing the work. A job well done is always good for growing self- confidence and character!
Leather Work Tips
For leather work, consider the basics: an awl and spare point, a retractable X-acto knife and spare blades, a retractable knife with a break-off blade and a rotary punch. In addition, you'll need needles, a lump of beeswax and some waxed linen thread.
Gift Baskets - Create Simple Easy Gifts For the Person Who Has Everything!
Have you ever thought about giving a personalized Gift Basket?
Tips for Flower Arranging at Home
Floral design is an art and for some it comes easy. If you have tried and failed or never tried at all, take heart, all is not lost. The beauty of learning at home is that if you make mistakes, it does not matter if it looks a bit funny. With some helpful tips and practice you can become proficient at it.
Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums - 5 Tips for Success
Do you dream of watching the natural beauty of the undersea reef life while sitting in your living room?
Working With Leather
This can be as simple & basic Or advanced & professional.
Bartering: A Modern Day Phenomenon
Back in the early days of America, families didn't have much in the form of money. What they did have was skill, creativity, and a desire to help each other out. Most of us know of the "doctor" who is paid for his services with chickens, apples, or bread.
Embroidery Digitizing Software
Embroidery Magic 2 software is very easy to use to make lettering, it is also easy to learn to use the digitizing part of the program but to digitize a good design takes learning, skill and practice. An example of what I am saying is that - for a artist to paint a picture, all it takes is some canvas, paint and brushes (these supplies and tools are easy for anyone to use but it takes learning, practice and artistic skill to paint a beautiful picture. The EM 2 program is easy to use but to digitize a good design takes learning, practice and skill.
Handmade Quilts are Made with Love and Make Great Family Heirlooms!
Today's handmade quilts are more like a work of art than a bed cover. With all the wonderfully artistic quilt patterns available to quilters today, we are beginning to see some absolutely breathtaking quilts glowing with character and personality. If you are lucky enough, hopefully someone will give you a handmade quilt that you can enjoy and pass on to your children.
Soap Making For Beginners ? Melt And Pour Process
As you will learn, soap making can be simple or complex. Some people enjoy the challenge of going all out professionally, which is fine. However, other people simply want to make soap for personal use or to give as an occasional gift.
|© Athifea Distribution LLC - 2013|